Chicken Achari is a delicious Mughlai dish with an Indian flavor , it tastes a little spicy and give a pickle feel . It has that raw texture and is not creamy at all . In fact the spices used in this recipe are whole spices grounded and then added to give that perfect and balanced taste . Here is my recipe of Chicken Achaari ….!
You may also like my following recipes
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped without skin
- 4-5 dry red chilies whole
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp aniseed / fennel seeds ( sauf )
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp onion seeds ( kalonji )
- 1 cup curd
- 4 tbsp ginger garlic
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime lemon juice
- 4-5 whole light green chillies
- Cooking oil
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ACHARI AT HOME
- Grind red chillies , fenugreek seeds , mustard seeds , cumin seeds , fennel seeds and onion seeds coarsely .
- Mix them with turmeric powder and salt together in a bowl. Take out about 3 tbsp in another small bowl and mix with the lime juice .
- Wash, pat dry and slit the green chillies and remove the seeds . Fill the chillies with the spice and lime juice mix and keep aside .
- In a non stick pan , add 1 tbsp oil and place all the green chillies filled with spices . Fry the chillies for few seconds , flip and fry the other side too . Transfer the chillies into another dish and keep side . ( you can skip this step , just fill the chillies with spices and keep aside )
- Squeeze all the water from chicken add the remaining spice mix , 1-2 tbsp oil , 2tbsp ginger garlic paste and salt as desired and marinate it for an hour.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry onions till golden brown , add remaining ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and fry until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and fry for few minutes.
- Add yoghurt , mix well and fry for about 4-5 minutes more.
- Now add the chicken and fry on low flame till chicken is done.
- Now add filled green chillies and simmer it for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with hot Chapati roti / parantha.
- If you do not want spicy , then add only 1/2 tsp chilly powder and less whole red chillies as per your preferences .
- You can skip the step of frying the chilies in pan seperately , slit the green chillies , fill the chillies with spices and keep aside .
- You can replace mutton ( lamb’s meat ) with chicken , just that add the mutton with marination with 2-3 cups of water in cooker , close the lid and let it whistle like 2-3 whistles , slow down the gas and make it whistle 2-3 times more . Off the gas and check the mutton , if its almost done then continue the procedure . ( but best is when you slow cook the mutton and not add it in pressure cooker )
NOTE : These below pics are of the time when the recipe was written , years back .
Preparation Time: 40-50 minutes
Serves 4-5 peoples