The festival of colors is just around the corner. Guest will be visiting and ofcourse you would be serving drinks and sweets. Today’s recipe is of a traditional sweet dish which is made during holi. We are making Gujiyas for your guest. It’s a super flavorful and super easy to make dish. All you have to do is make a semi stiff dough with all purpose flour and ghee. Make a delicious filling with dry fruits, desiccated coconut and sugar. Roll the dough and then add the filling. Seal the edges and give it a traditional gujiya shape. Fry them in hot oil until light golden brown in color. Making gujiyas with family and friends is tradition, so call all your friends n family members over and, make this delectable sweet dish and enjoy holi. Happy Holi to All!
You may also like following recipes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 250 gms All purpose flour (or half all purpose flour and wheat flour)
- 50 gms Ghee (or oil)
- lukewarm water (as required to knead the dough)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
- 100 gms Mawa
- 50 gms Dry Fruits (mix of almonds, pistachio and raisins)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ghee
- 4-5 small Green Cardamom pods
- 3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 25 gms Desiccated Coconut
HOW TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the all-purpose flour along with the melted ghee.
- Using your hand start to knead the dough, until you get a crumble consistency.
- Start adding lukewarm water, little at a time. Knead until you get a semi stiff dough.
- Once the dough is ready, cover with a kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rest for 20-25 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- In a large nonstick pan, add the desiccated coconut, over low flame roast them until it changes color to brown. Once done remove and set aside.
- In the same pan add the ghee, over low flame roast the dry fruits.
- Next add the mawa, roast everything once again until it changes color.
- Once done, remove from flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Crush the green cardamom pods and set aside.
- Once the mixture is cooled, add the desiccate coconut, powdered sugar and crushed green cardamom. Mix everything until well combined.
HOW TO MAKE THE GUJIYA:
- Once the dough is ready, divide them into small balls.
- Preheat a deep frying pan with oil.
- Place one small ball on the base and using a rolling pin, start rolling each ball into thin small round shape.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the center. Apply some water towards the edges and fold it into a semi-circle, seal the edges.
- Start giving it shape by pinching and folding inwards.
- Using a fork, seal the edges completely. Follow the same steps to make the remaining gujiyas.
- Once done, start to deep fry these gujiyas in the hot oil in batches.
- Fry over low to medium flame, until light golden brown in color.
- Keep flipping the gujiyas, until done. Once done remove on kitchen towel.
- Serve these yummy and delicious Gujiyas on this festive occasion of Holi.
- You have to make semi stiff dough, do not make a soft dough for this recipe.
- Use less water to knead the dough and the water has to be lukewarm.
- You can make the fillings with mawa and semolina or gram flour and mawa.
- You can fry these gujiyas in ghee as well.
- Sealing the edges is important, especially if you are not using the mould.
- Subscribe my Youtube channel by clicking here for video recipes.
PREPARATION TIME : 30 minutes
SERVES : 4