Rabri / Rabri
Though in my recipe I have added strands of saffron so the color shall become yellow and not pinkish. But you can skip adding of saffron, that totally depends on you.
Well in this rabdi recipe I have added jaggery powder instead of sugar, as its healthy and jaggery has its more nutritional value such as it helps in digestion, rich in minerals, jaggery could contribute a small amount of iron, specially when replacing with sugar and so on.
So if you are replacing jaggery with sugar then you will get a few extra nutrients with your calories, in this way its a healthier choice.
Well I have used organic Jaggery powder which is grown without synthetic pesticides. So its more healthier.
Here is my recipe of delicious Rabri/ Rabdi.
You may also like
- 1 liter full fat whole milk
- 8-10 tbsp jaggery powder (1/2 cup) / sugar
- 3-4 green cardamom crushed
- 3 tbsp blanched and chopped pistachio
- 3 tbsp blanched and chopped almonds
- few strands of saffron ( kesar )
HOW TO MAKE RABRI
- Heat full fat whole milk in a thick bottom pan or kadhai on low flame until the milk starts to form a layer of thin cream on top.
- When you see the cream on top of the milk, just with the help of spatula, gently move and stick it to the side of the pan. Keep collecting the cream on the sides of pan , this process has to be done several times. Simmer the milk on low flame, as this will bring the cream on top every now and then. Well keep stirring the milk occasionally so that the milk does not get burn at the bottom. But do not keep stirring every now and then , because then you won’t get the layers of cream in the rabri.
- Keep collecting the cream at intervals and stick to the side of the pan until the milk has reduced to half. Once the milk has reduced to half add jaggery powder or sugar .
- Add saffron and crushed cardamom and stir gently.
- Here at this stage the color will change to yellow after adding the saffron.
- Keep stirring occasionally too as the milk won’t burnt at the bottom of pan. Adjust the sweetness as per your taste, just in case if you need more sweetness, add jaggery powder/ sugar. When the milk gets reduced to 1/3 or 1/4 of its actual quantity, then switch off the flame.
- Scrape off all the dried milk solids and all the cream layer that is collected at the sides of the pan.
- Add sliced pistachios and almonds and stir gently. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with some pistachios and almonds. Serve hot, warm or chilled Rabri.
- You can add sugar instead of jaggery powder but jaggery is healthier than sugar.
- Adjust the jaggery/ sugar as per your taste.
- Increase or decrease the number of tbsp as per your preferences.
- If you are adding sugar instead of jaggery then the measurements shall vary, as you will need more sugar as compared to jaggery added in rabdi.
Zulekha’s Tips & tricks :
- When you taste RABRI to adjust the sweetness, make sure you add a pinch more of jaggery/sugar as when the dish is chilled the sweetness lessens. When you taste warm RABDI and want to have it chilled then add a bit more sweetness then needed.
- Click here to try chocolate halwa recipe too.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 1 hour 5-7 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour 15-17 Minutes.
SERVES: 3-4 Persons.