Chicken korma is a delectable and delicious Indian gravy served with Naans or parathas or phulkas or Jeera rice. Chicken korma is a rich, creamy, flavorful and delicious main course, the gravy is made of coconut, poppy seeds, yogurt and other dry spices.
There are many ways of making Chicken Korma like some add almonds and cashews, where as some add poppy seeds. Some add tomatoes to make the gravy but I have not added it. Well I have made a thick gravy of coconut, poppy seeds and cashews, the gravy tastes much better that way.
The main Ingredient or you can say the key Ingredient is fried onions. You can add ready fried onions but it is best when you make the birista ( fried onions) freshly at the same time. Whereas one more thing one should take into account that frying the onions too much dark will later make the taste of the rich gravy a bit bitter, so make sure you fry the onions to golden brown.
Here is my Authentic Indian Chicken Korma Recipe.
You may also like
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 1-2 finely chopped green chillies
- 1 and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder ( kashmiri )
- 1 and 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder ( spice mix)
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup curd
- 2-3 whole black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 big cardamom
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 15-17 cashews
- 1 and 1./2 tsp dedicated coconut /fresh coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KORMA:
- Clean, wash and make slit on chicken pieces and marinate it with salt, red chilly powder and lime juice, mix well and keep aside for 15 – 20 Minutes or till the gravy is being prepared.
- Now on a hot tawa/griddle roast desiccated coconut or fresh coconut chopped and khus khus ( popey seeds) both separately. Transfer in a serving plate and keep aside.
- In a non stick kadhai drizzle some oil and fry thinly sliced onions till they turn golden in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside. ( if you have birista ( fried onions) pre hand then you can add them and skip this step)
- In the same kadhai, drizzle some more oil if needed and add pepper corns, cloves, green cardamon, big cardamom, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Let it splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and roast till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and mix well.
- Add half cup water, cover and cook on slow flame till the oil separates.
- By the time spices are being roasted, prepare the paste. In a food processor add roasted poppy seeds, roasted desiccated coconut/fresh coconut, cashews and fried onions ( birista) and grind to fine paste by adding 1/4 cup or more water if needed.
- Once the spices are roasted and oil separates, add the onion cashew paste, mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup water in the jar and pour over the gravy. Cover and cook on slow flame till the oil separates.
- Add curd, mix well and cook for few minutes say about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken, chopped green chilies, pepper powder, garam masala powder and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook on slow flame till the chicken is cooked, in between add 1/2 or 1 cup of water and cook the chicken till its completely done.
- Adjust salt, add lime juice and sprinkle some coriander leaves.
- Simmer for 2-5 minutes and serve hot with phulkas or Naans or rumali rotis or parathas with fresh salad.
COOKING TIPS :
- Increase or decrease the no of Red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- I have added kashmiri red chilly powder but if you are adding spicy red chilly powder then add just 1 tsp of it.
- Increase or decrease chopped green chilies as per your preferences.
- You can even add fresh cream 1 tbsp or more for better flavor.
- You can add half of lemon juice, instead of 1 tbsp as the marinated masala will also have lemon juice flavor, so add as per your preferences.
- You can add store brought birista ( fried onions) but chicken korma tastes delicious when you prepare the birista freshly at the same time.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 40 -45 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 50-60 Minutes.
SERVES: 3-4 Persons.