Veg kolhapuri is one of the famous vegetarian dish served in many Indian Restaurants. Though all have their own way of preparing it. In some of the restaurants this dish VEG KOLHAPURI is served very spicy.
The best part of this delicious and delectable recipe is the whole spices are roasted on slow flame and then blended to fine paste. That is later added to the gravy to add much needed thickness, spice and balanced taste.
In veg kolhapuri red chilly powder is not added to the gravy for the spice instead few whole red chilies are roasted on hot tawa, then blended to paste and added to the gravy to attain that much needed spice. But here I have made this one change and that is I have not added too much of red whole chilies and then later in the recipe added 1/2 tsp of red chilly powder. But if you want you can add 3-4 whole red chilies instead of just 2.
Here is my delicious and lip smacking recipe of Veg Kolhapuri.
You may also like
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup carrots chopped into long thick strips
- 1 cup french beans chopped into thick pieces
- 1 green capsicum chopped into long thick pieces
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped into long strips
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp butter ( optional )
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR MASALA:
- 1 and half tsp desiccated coconut or fresh
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds ( khus khus)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds ( til )
- 3-4 whole red chilies
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
HOW TO MAKE RESTAURANT STYLE VEG KOLHAPURI :
- Boil the chopped vegetables like chopped potatoes , chopped carrots, chopped french beans and cauliflower florets for 12 -15 minutes in 2-3 cups of water with salt.
- Heat a non stick tawa and roast all the ingredients such as coconut, cumin seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, whole red chilies, cinnamon stick, cloves and green cardamom one by one separately or together.
- Once roasted, let it cool and grind the roasted spices in a food processor till smooth if needed add very little water.
- In a non stick kadhai or pan drizzle some oil and butter, add bay leaves and cook for 3-4 seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and fry till onions starts changing its colour, make sure you stir at intervals so that the onions do not burn.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes, cover and cook on slow flame till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and roast for half a minute.
- Add the grounded masala paste and roast for some time till the oil separates.
- Add green capsicum and fry for a minute.
- Now add all the vegetables and roast them in masala for a minute or 2 or till the oil separates. Adjust salt and spice if needed. I added 1/2 tsp red chilly powder. ( spice is referred to red chilly powder , see the notes for this step)
- Add 1 and half cup water, cover and cook on slow flame till the gravy is thick and the vegetables are completely cooked.
- Off the gas, serve hot with phulkas, paranthas, tandoori roti or naans.
FOOD HACKS :
- You can replace green capsicum with red bell pepper, or add both, depends on your preferences.
- You can add dedicated coconut or fresh coconut whatever is readily available with you to Veg Kolhapuri.
- Well adding of red chilly powder is not needed in this recipe as you need to roast whole red chilies as per the spice you want in your gravy, but I have added just 2 red whole chillies to not make my recipe too spicy. But I have added 1/2 tsp red chilly powder too. You can follow the same way as per this recipe or you can take 3-4 red whole chilies or more, depending on your preferences.
- You can add any vegetables as per your preference.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 -15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 40 -45 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 50 -55 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.