Palak Paneer is a creamy, delicious vegetarian Indian dish. The recipe consist of paneer (cottage cheese) in thick gravy made of Spinach puree , seasoned with spices. Here in this Recipe I have saute paneer in butter , to give more flavor to the dish. In fact some add crumbled paneer in the gravy , where as some add tomato and sugar to balance the taste. Here is my version of Palak Paneer.
- 1 bunch spinach
- 150 gms paneer
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi ( optional )
- 2 -3 green chillies
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 50 -70 gms cashews
- 4-5 cloves of garlic butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- 2 -3 tbsp cream
- 1 tomato ( peeled and chopped )
- ginger julienne for garnish
- lemon wedges
sat to taste
vegetable oil /ghee /butter
HOW TO MAKE PALAK PANEER
- Rinse palak or spinach leaves thoroughly in running water, drain and discard the stems from the leaves.
- Boil 3-4 cups of water with pinch of salt , add the palak leaves and let it rest in water for 2-3 minutes .
- Strain the leaves and immediately add them to bowl containning ice cold water for preserving the green color. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes in ice cold water , drain and add the spinach in a food processor with green chilies and cashews. Blend to a smooth paste without adding any water to it .
- In a pan heat oil /butter / ghee , add cumin seeds and let it spluter.
- Add bay leaves and fineyl chopped garlic, saute for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry until golden brown .
- Add chopped tomato and saute until the tomatoes have soften and formed into pulp.
- Add coriander powder and red chilly powder, roast the the masala until the oil separates.
- Add the palak mixture, dry crushed kasuri methi ( optional ) and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and salt , stir and let it simmer for 8- 9 minutes or until spinach is cooked properly.
- Sprinkle some garam masala powder and let it simmer .
- Side by side in another fry pan , add butter and fry the paneer pieces .
- Add these paneer pieces to the gravy and simmer for a minute or 2 until paneer becomes soft .
- Now add cream and lightly stir so that cream gets mixed in the gravy .
- Switch off the gas and serve hot with come lemon wedges and top some ginger julienne and fresh cream if desired.
- Serve with roti , phulkas , naans or jeera / plain rice with fresh salads.
- Increase or decrease the number green chilies as per your preferences in my Palak Paneer recipe.
- Some do add 1/2 tsp sugar too , so if you want you can add too .
- If you do not want to fry the paneer pieces, you can avoid that step .
- You can add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste too , instead of adding garlic add ginger garlic paste , fry until raw smell disappears and then continue .
- I did not add ginger, but if you want you can add small piece of ginger when blending green chilies , cashews and spinach in a food processor .
- You can make delicious paneer at home , click here for Recipe link .
PREPARATION TIME: 20 -30 Minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 -15 Minutes .
TOTAL TIME TO COOK PALAK PANEER: 40-45 Minutes approximately.
SERVES: 4 Persons .