Biryani is one of the most favourate Indian Cuisine, be it any kind of Biryani say about Veg Biryani, prawns Biryani, Chicken dum Biryani, hyderabadi Biryani, malai tikka Biryani, butter chicken Biryani, chicken tikka masala Biryani and so on. We Indians love it. Well I love Biryani be it any one mentioned above served with onion and cumber raita.
Egg biryani is a variation of non Veg Biryani, well I always make Malai Tikka Biryani, Butter chicken biryani and chicken OR Mutton dum biryani but just felt like making Egg Biryani. I am not a big fan of eggs though but then too, wanted to have biryani but not with chicken nor with veggies so thought of making Egg Biryani in my way.
This is Restaurant style Delicious, delectable and scrumptious Egg Biryani Recipe. The best part I have marinated the eggs and then shallow fried them and then made the gravy and assembled to Anda Biryani.
YOU MAY EVEN LIKE :
- 5-6 eggs boiled
- 3-4 sliced onions
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 pepper corns
- 1 big cardamom
- 2 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chilly kashmiri powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala powder ( whole spice mix)
- 10 cashews ( optional )
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup curd
- few strands of saffron
- coriander leaves
- mint leaves
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 pepper corns
- 3-5 cloves
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 1 green cardamom
- 5-6 cups of water
HOW TO MAKE EGG BIRYANI RESTAURANT STYLE:
PREPARATION OF RICE:
- Wash rice 2-3 times in running water and soak in plain water for 15 minutes .
- Side by side as the gravy is being prepared , in a large deep pan or pot , boil water with salt .
- Add whole garam masala mentioned under the INGREDIENTS FOR RICE “section directly in the boiling water.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to the boiling water, cook until the rice is 3/4th done, drain the rice and keep on strainer until all the water has drained out.
- Roughly hand pick the whole garam masala and discard them.
PREPARATION OF MASALA :
- In warm milk add few strands of saffron and keep aside.
- With the help of fork prick the boiled eggs and marinate them with salt, pinch of turmeric powder and 1/2 red chilly powder ( kashmiri) for about 15 minutes. ( here in this step the spices are added have not been mentioned in the ingredients list )
- In a large kadhai drizzle some oil, and fry the marinated eggs for few minutes or till they start turning golden in color.
- Drain the fried eggs and keep aside, in the same oil drizzle some more oil if needed, add onions and fry till golden brown in colour. Drain fried onions on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- In the same kadhai, add oil if needed and add whole spices and let them splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and roast till the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes with salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and cook on low flame till the tomatoes are soft and form into pulp.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilly powder, mix well. Fry on slow flame till the oil separates.
- Off the gas , after 3-4 minutes add beaten curd, mix well.
- On the gas and add 3/4 of prepared crushed fried onions ( birista ) and roast for 1-2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on slow flame till the oil separates.
- Add green chillies chopped , coriander leaves chopped and mint leaves chopped .
- Add 1/2 cup or 1 cup water, cover and cook on slow flame till the oil separates. Off the gas.
ASSEMBLING OF EGG BIRYANI :
- In a vessel or deep pot , drizzle 1 tbsp oil and apply all over the base. Take 1 big spoon of cooked Basmati rice and make one small layer of rice , then add gravy , place all the fried and roasted eggs in between the gravy. Sprinkle some coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Now add rest of the remaining rice all over the egg gravy , sprinkle some crispy fried onions ( birista which preserved for later use) , coriander leaves , few chopped mint leaves , 2 tsp ghee all over the rice . Lastly add milk with saffron and food colour mixed in rose water ( optional) . ( if you feel that saffron alone is not giving that desired colour to your biryani then add food colour or else just add plain rose water ) .
- If you want you can add pan fried cashews in anda biryani , pine nuts and raisins too. ( this step is optional ). Just fry the nuts in 1 tbsp ghee and when layering biryani, pour this over egg gravy. Then add the remaining rice and complete the procedure.
- Cover with the lid and keep something heavy on it so that the steam remains inside. Or seal the edges with flour dough. Cook on low flame until the steam starts coming out or for 15-20 minutes. ( preferably keep a hot griddle under the vessel in which biryani is being made , so that it does not stick too much from the bottom, if you are not using a non stick pan)
- Serve Egg Biryani hot with dahi pyaz raita or boondi raita or hung curd mint dip.
- I have not added food color in egg biryani, instead I have added saffron for color but if you want you can add food color instead of saffron. If you are adding food color then just in the end at the time of assembling add milk and separately dilute food colour in 1 -2 tbsp water and sprinkle over rice.
- If you have birista ( golden fried onions ) pre hand , you can use them in your Egg Biryani but it is better if you make fresh birista.
- You can adjust the no of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- You can adjust the no of green chilies as per your preferences.
- You can add potatoes too if you want, just peel chop the potatoes into 2-3 pieces and add salt, mix well. When you fry the eggs, transfer it to a serving plate and fry the potates on high flame. Once the potatoes turn light gold in colour, drain and keep aside. ( here the potatoes will not be done in frying, when you keep the biryani on Dum ( slow flame) at that time the potatoes will be done.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes.
COOKING TIME : 1 Hour.
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 PERSONS.