Biryani also known as “briyani” or ” biriyani” is a spicy rice mixed rice dish with its origin among the Muslims of the Indian Sub continent. Prawn Biryani is not only popular and loved through out India, but also all over the World.
Prawn Biryani is a big hit among all sea food lovers. Biryani is made with spices, rice and meat such as Chicken, mutton, beef, fish, prawns or vegetables. Here today I am sharing my Recipe of Prawn Biryani, am sure you will love it, once you make it.
You can either buy Prawns / Shrimps from local fish market, Or you can order it online from bigbasket. To buy from Bigbasket click here
If need any grocery or cutlery order from amazon here
Prawn Biryani can be prepared by cooking the prawns in thick gravy made of fried onions, tomatoes and other spices. And is then assembled into Biryani or you can directly add the marinated prawns while assembling the Biryani . Both the ways are fine, but I usually prepare by cooking the prawns pre hand as it leaves too much of water.
I usually make Prawn Biryani by adding home made or store bought coconut milk and not curd. As coconut milk lends a good taste and flavor to Prawn Biryani but you can add curd too.
Best is when prepared with tiger prawns or jumbo prawns, you can either add fresh prawns like I did or frozen ones, both are fine. But I usually love the taste of fresh prawns.
You might also like my other recipes :
- 500 gms peeled medium to big sized prawns
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 cinammon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2-3 green chardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 3-4 pepper corns
INGREDIENTS FOR PRAWNS MARINATION:
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
OTHER INGREDIENTS :
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup kewra water ( rose water )
- few strands of saffron
- few dry fruits ( cashews , raisins ,pine nuts )
- pinch of food colour ( optional )
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 3 -4 tbsp mint leaves for garnishing
- 2 -3 tbsp ghee
- 1 -2 finely chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
INGREDIENTS FOR RICE:
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 pepper corns
- 3-5 cloves
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 1 green cardamom
- 5-6 cups of water
- Peel, devein, wash and marinate prawns with the ingredients mentioned under ” MARINATION SECTION ” for an hour. ( make sure you before you marinate with spices, wash or marinate prawns in butter milk for 10-15 minutes to get rid of fishy smell)
- In a bowl add safrron with milk and keep aside.
- In a non stick pan , drizzle some oil and add all the whole spices such as bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, green cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds, black cardamom, pepper corns. Let it splutter.
- Add sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
- Add peeled and chopped tomatoes, cover and cook on low flame till the tomatoes form into pulp.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilly powder and fry till oil separates.
- Add marinated prawns and fry on high flame till the water has almost dried up or raw smell is gone.
- Slow down the gas, pour coconut milk and stir. Cook until the gravy thickens. Off the gas.
PREPARATION OF RICE:
- Wash rice 2-3 times in running water and soak in water for 30 minutes .
- Side by side as the gravy is being prepared , in a large deep pan or pot , boil water with salt .
- Add whole garam masala mentioned under the INGREDIENTS FOR RICE “section directly in the boiling water.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to the boiling water, cook until the rice is 3/4th done, drain the rice and keep on strainer until all the water has drained out.
- Roughly hand pick the whole garam masala and discard them .
ASSEMBLING OF PRAWN BIRYANI :
- In a vessel or deep pot , make one small layer of rice , then add prawns with gravy , sprinkle some coriander leaves, mint leaves and 1 finely chopped green chillies .
- Now add rest of the remaining rice all over the prawns gravy , sprinkle some crispy fried onions ( birista ) , coriander leaves , few chopped mint leaves , 2 tsp ghee all over the rice . Lastly add milk with saffron and food colour mixed in rose water . ( if you feel that saffron alone is not giving that desired colour to your biryani then add food colour or else just add plain rose water ) .
- If you want you can add pan fried cashews , pine nuts and raisins too. ( this step is optional ). Just fry the nuts in 1 tbsp ghee and when layering biryani, pour this over Prawns. Then add the remaining rice and complete the procedure.
- Cover with the lid and keep something heavy on it so that the steam remains inside. Or seal the edges with flour dough. Cook on low flame until the steam starts coming out or for 20 minutes. ( preferably keep a hot griddle under the vessel in which biryani is being made , so that it does not stick too much from the bottom, if you are not using a non stick pan)
- Serve Prawn Biryani hot with dahi pyaz raita or boondi raita or hung curd mint dip or coconut chutney.
- Adding of food colour is optional.
- You can adjust the spice in Prawn Biryani, increase or decrease the chilly powder and green chillies as per your taste and preferences.
- You can skip coconut milk, but adding makes Prawn Biryani more flavorful .
- If you have birista ( golden fried onions ) pre hand , you can use them in your Prawns Biryani but it is better if you make fresh birista.
- You can add curd instead of coconut milk but best is if you add coconut milk to it, as it enhances the flavor.
- You can either add home made coconut milk or store bought to your Prawn Biryani, both are just fine.
- Increase or decrease the no of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- Increase or decrease the no of green chilies as per your preferences.
- Subscribe my Youtube channel for video recipes by clicking here
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 1 Hour Approximately.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.