Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken dum biryani is most famous recipe made all over India and across the world by now.Biryani’s origin is said that it was made in the kitchens of Moghal Emperor, but as far as i recollect myself, i have been having it since childhood specially in weddings.
Trust me the taste of chicken dum biryani use to be just excellent. In fact in weddings mutton biryanis and chicken biryani use to be served as main course. Best part was they use to add potatoes to make it more tastier, though Biryani”s are still the highlight of grand weddings till date, no second thought aboutt it. Whenever i make biryani be it chicken or mutton i too add potatoes. They taste yumm believe me.
The reason it is called Chicken dum biryani because it is cooked on low flame ( heat) to get that much needed taste extract from herbs and spices and mix them in chicken and rice. Well i believe that more the quantity the more tastier it gets. Chicken dum biryani is probably the highest selling rice dish in india or maybe in Asia.
There are many ways to make Chicken dum biryani. Everyone makes with their unique taste. I make with my style and i try to make my chicken dum biryani as authentic as possible.
- Chicken 1 kg with bones
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 inch thick Cinnamon
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 6-7 cloves
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 -4 finely chopped green chillies
- 4 medium sized tomatoes chopped, into cubes
- 3 large onions chopped
- 2 potatoes, each cut into 4 pieces and kept in water with little salt
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp cashew nut paste with few almonds
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 4-5 garlic, ginger 1/2 inch and 2 green chilies freshly crushed
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 2 -3 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 -2 tsp coriander powder
- A few mint and coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch saffron
- 2 tbsp rose water
- Birista ( brown onions) for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN DUM BIRYANI
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in water for about 30 minutes .
- Soak the saffron in milk and set aside .
- Wash, clean and marinate chicken for an hour or two with salt , turmeric , coriander powder , chilly powder , ginger garlic paste , cashew nut and amond paste and yogurt . ( I marinate the chicken for few hours )
- Boil the desired water , add salt and rosewater , when water starts boiling add rice into it , cook rice till 3/4th done and set aside.
- In a kadhai, put some oil, drain the water and add the potatoes and fry them on high flame, as they turn their colour, remove from flame and set aside.
- In the same oil, add whole garam masala , then add onions and fry till it becomes golden brown, now add the tomatoes, fry for few minutes, add ginger, garlic and chilli freshly crushed , now add the chicken with the marinated mixture , and mix it well , adjust salt and cook till chicken is almost done. Remove from the heat.
- Take a pot or the one in which you want to set the biryani, grease the base with oil , and put some rice, then spread an even layer of the prepared chicken over the rice, place the fried potatoes in the prepared mixture of chicken, sprinkle few chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Now add the remaining rice over the chicken layer, sprinkle the saffron milk mixture all over the rice, and top it with few birista ( brown onions) and 2 tbsp ghee all over the rice.
- Now we have to cook this chicken dum biryani on very low flame. There are many ways to cook it on dum as the main thing behind it is not to allow steam to explore out.
- For that just cover the lid and stick a flour dough at the edge all over the lid and place it on the hot griddle on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Serve this delicious chicken dum biryani piping hot with round onion slices, lemon wedges and raita of your choice.
You may also like my other recipes
- You can add food colors such as red , yellow, green or orange to make your biryani look more colorful . However i prefer not to add any colors in my chicken dum biryani because saffron makes it looks natural yellow color .
- You can add fried cashews too , while serving in the plate decorate with few fried cashews and boiled eggs. In fact if you want you can add ghee fried cashews at the time when you assemble the last layer of biryani , sprinkle some coriander leaves , brown onions ( birista ) and few fried cashews.
- Chicken dum biryani can be made either with boneless chicken or with bones . But i prefer with bones to get authentic taste .
- You add ginger garlic paste 2-3 tbsp instead of crushed ones , but if you add freshly crushed it will enhance the taste . ( If you are adding ginger garlic paste then add only few green chilies crushed)
- You can serve Chicken dum biryani with boiled eggs as well .
COOKING TIME: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
SERVES: 4 Persons