Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie
Actually I always make my regular Mutton or Butter chicken Frankie but some days back when I had gone for shopping I had a veg cheese Frankie and to my surprise it was so delicious and so was his method of making it. So I had to try my version of it. Though as I am a chicken lover so tried making a non veg version of it , Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie. Try it and I am sure you gonna love my Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie.
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATION :
1 kg boneless chicken
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp tandoori masala
1/4 cup curd
1 tbsp lemon
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
1-2 tbsp oil
1 tsp red chilly powder
pinch of red food colour ( optional )
2 onions finely chopped
2 nos finely chopped green chilies
2 cups grated processed cheese
METHOD FOR CHICKEN TIKKAS
- Clean, wash and chop chicken boneless into medium pieces and marinate them with salt , ginger garlic paste, curd , garam masala, tandoori masala , red chilly powder , oil , lemon juice , cumin powder and food colour ( optional ) for few hours. I mostly marinate them a night before preparing it and refrigerate them.
- In a fry pan add 2 tbsp butter and fry the marinated chicken pieces for about 3-4 minutes , flip and fry the other side too until done . ( note : this frying shall not take more than 10 -15 minutes ) OR
- Alternatively you can grill the chicken pieces in oven too , weave the chicken pieces on skewers and grill them in pre heat oven at 180 degree C for 20 minutes or until done . Make sure you keep an oven tray beneath so that the masala that drips will be later added to the gravy . Grill the chicken pieces for 10 minutes , bast with butter , flip and grill the other side too until slightly charred and done . ( my oven has a rotary system so I just baste the pieces at few intervals )
- Heat the coal on gas . In a pot add all the chicken pieces and once the coal is red hot , place it in between the chicken pieces on a small piece of foil or small steel bowl , add 1 tbsp oil or butter on the coal and cover immediately , this step will give a smoky flavour to the chicken pieces . After sometime discard the coal and keep the chicken pieces aside.
- If you have prepared the chicken tikkas in pan instead of oven, after you give smoke to the tikkas , weave only the chicken pieces on skewers , baste with butter and directly grill them from all over to give charred effect . Preserve the gravy or you can say marinade and place all the chicken pieces in the same pan with the gravy for essembling frankie . ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat)
NOTE : You can chop or shred the chicken pieces or even keep the same size to be added to Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie.
For Butter Chicken Frankie ( click here for recipe )
For Mutton Frankie ( click here for recipe )
1 1/2 – 2 cup maida ( all purpose flour)
4 -5 tbsp oil / ghee
water as required
1. Knead the maida ( all purpose flour) with required amount of water and salt, while kneading it, add ghee or oil in between the process and knead it into a semi soft dough . ( dough should not be too soft nor too hard) . Cover with kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 -15 minutes .
2. Divide the dough into equal parts, Now roll each part into a long roll of the size of chappatis . ( roti)
4. Make the onion salad by adding vinegar and green chilies just 5 minutes before serving .
5. At the time of serving Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie, place the partially cooked roti / chapatti on thick hot griddle / thick bottomed tawa ( the side which does not have cooked eggs will be on tawa , so that it gets cooked now on slow flame ) , add 1 tsp or more butter on the hot tawa , Now place the chicken tikkas ( with some thick gravy ) filling in the center , add some grated cheese and let it cook on slow flame until the cheese melts , if needed with a spoon mix the chicken and cheese on the tawa itself . ( or instead of putting grated cheese on chicken and then mixing it spoon , you can place a generous amount of cheese next to chicken and roast the chapatti / roti / wrap on slow flame until the cheese melts )
6. Once the cheese melts , place few onion salad , sprinkle few coriander leaves and some chaat masala . Roll it tightly and serve hot . ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat )
- Adding of food colour is optional .
- You can adjust the spice, increase or decrease the chilly powder and green chillies as per your taste and preferences .
- It is necessary that cheese should melt as this will give an extra yummy cheese creamy flavor to the Frankie .
- Make sure your tawa is thick bottomed as cheese shall take some time to melt , so by the time it melts the wraps / chapatti on tawa should not burn , so better you take a thick bottomed pan or thick griddle or non stick pan .
- You can make separately few small eggs omelette and separately partially roast the roti / chappati on both the sides and keep aside in foil paper. At the time of serving roast the roti again on hot griddle or tawa with few drops of butter and then place the egg omelette and then place few pieces of chicken tikkas with some masala , top with grated cheese and let it cook until the cheese melts . Transfer in a serving plate and add the onion vinegar salad and roll tight . Serve hot these Chicken Tikka Cheese Frankie .
SERVES : 6-8 Persons .