Malai Tikka Chicken Biryani
Malai Chicken Tikka Seekh Biryani or Malai Biryani is a delicious main course which is so creamy in texture and has an aromatic flavor.
Malai Biryani is one of a kind in which I have not added too much of spice. I have not added any kind of food color other than natural one and that is saffron. But besides not adding too much of spice in Biryani, the taste is delectable, creamy, aromatic and delicious.
I have prepared Malai Biryani / Malai chicken tikka Biryani in a rich gravy that consist of cream and cashew paste. With the chicken pieces. I have added home made chicken seekh kababs too and then assembled with layers of rice and garnished with fried onions , coriander leaves and mint leaves. Lastly giving a hot coal bargar made this Malai Biryani very different and delicious too.
So here is the recipe of Malai Biryani Or Malai Chicken Tikka Seekh Biryani.
You may also like
INGREDIENTS FOR MALAI BIRYANI:
- 750 -1kg boneless chicken
- 1 cup curd
- 550-650 gms basmati rice
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup ghee or vegetable oil
- 3-4 large onions finely sliced
- 2 tbsp full ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 or 1 tsp red chilly powder ( tikhalal )
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4-5 green chilies
- 80-100 gms cashews
- Salt to taste
WHOLE GARAM MASALA:
- 5-6 pepper corns
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2 big cardamom
- 2 star anise
- 3-4 long chicken seekh kebabs ( each chopped into 2 pieces )
- few strands of saffron
- 1/4 cup milk
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- mint leaves for garnishing
- Rose water
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 coal
- 1 tbsp oil
HOW TO MAKE MALAI CHICKEN TIKKA BIRYANI:
- Clean , wash and chop the chicken boneless into thick pieces . Make a few slits on it and marinate them with salt , 2 tsp ginger garlic , 1/4 cup curd , 1/2 tsp cumin powder , 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and 1/2 cup fresh cream for about 2 hours.
- Wash basmati rice in running water for 2-3 times and soak in an appropriate amount of water for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl soak saffron in a warm milk and keep aside.
- In a food processor add green chillies and cashews , grind them into paste . ( add water if needed )
- In a deep vessel , boil 4-5 cups of water with salt , 2 pepper corns , 2 cloves , 1 bay leaf , 1 big cardamom, 1 star anise and 1 green cardamom . ( Make sure you do this process just after you have soaked the rice, say about after 7-8 minutes of soaked rice step)
- Drain the washed rice and add to the boiling water , cook until the rice is almost done , drain and keep aside.
- In a vessel add oil and onions with remaining whole spices ( garam masala ) , fry until golden in colour .
- Add 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears .
- Now add salt , 1 tsp red chilly powder , turmeric powder , coriander powder , 1/2 tsp cumin powder , 1/ 2 tsp garam masala powder and roast the masala for a while.
- Add curd and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the oil separates .
- Add cashew paste and saute for a minute or two.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces , mix well and cook on slow flame until the chicken is done and the gravy thickens up .
- Add the remaining fresh cream , mix and simmer for a minute. Off the gas.
- Chop the store bought chicken seekh into two pieces and if you making seekh at home marinate few hours before preparing the Biryani or you can marinate a night before like I do . ( here is the recipe for chicken seekh )
- In a deep pan or vessel , grease the bottom with few drops of oil , add 1-2 spoons of rice and spread evenly at the base.
- Now place the prepared malai tikka gravy and add seekh kebabs too ( click here for recipe ) , spread evenly.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and mint leaves and few chopped green chillies ( if you wish to , as i did not add )
- Now add the remaining cooked rice on the gravy and spread evenly . Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Sprinkle some fried onions ( birista ) and 2 -3 tbsp clarified butter all over .
- Sprinkle rose water all over the rice and saffron with milk .
- If you want you can add fried cashews , pine nuts and raisins too. ( this step is optional )
- Cover with the lid and keep something heavy on it so that the steam remains inside. Cook on low flame until the steam starts coming out or for 20 minutes. ( preferably keep a hot griddle under the vessel in which biryani is being made , so that it does not stick too much from the bottom ). Off the gas.
- Open the lid , place a red hot coal in a small bowl on rice and pour 1-2 tbsp oil , immediately cover the lid and keep something heavy on it so that the fumes remain in and give a good flavor. After 5 minutes , remove the bowl and discard the coal . ( this step is optional )
- Serve hot with dahi pyaz raita or boondi raita or hung curd mint dip.
- If you want you can add charcoal smoke in gravy instead rice. Or you can even add charcoal smoke in both of them or either of them.
- If you want to add food colour , add kesar colour diluted in rose water and sprinkle on the biryani, as the name says, it is Malai Chicken tikka seekh Biryani so better keep it white .I do not like much of food colour so i did not make it colorful though and I avoid food colours as much i can.
- Increase the number of green chillies as per your preferences.
- Increase or decrease the amount of fresh cream as per your preferences.
- Decrease the red chilly powder as per your preferences in Malai Biryani.