Shami kabab are popular cuisine served all over India specially served as an appetizer during festive season of Eid, teamed with mint and coriander chutney. Shami kebab are best when made with beef , but I prefer lamb mince, its combined with spices and chick peas with egg to hold it together.
Shami kabab are a popular snack all over India, they often garnished with lemon wedges and raw onions, this is a classic cuisine which over the time never changed in fact I a having it since I was a kid , the only thing changed in shami kabab is before a piece of boiled egg use to be place in between kebabs and was covered with the mince blended mixture, rolled into beaten eggs and then fried, where as now shami kabab are made into flat patty without boiled egg and shallow fried with eggs in the kebabs mixture it self. Shami Kebab recipe a must try.
- 250 gms lamb mince ( keema )
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup split Bengal gram
- Few chopped mint leaves
- 1 onions finely chopped
- 7 – 8 whole red chillies
- 2 – 3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 – 5 whole black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 6 – 7 cloves
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
HOW TO MAKE SHAMI KABAB
1. Wash mince (keema ) properly , add keema ( lamb mince ) in a pan with salt , cumin seeds, ginger garlic paste , Cinnamon sticks , cloves , green chilies , whole red chillies , onions , mint leaves, black pepper , red chilli powder , split bengal gram and water.
2.Bring to a boil and then low the flame and cook until mince ( keema ) gets completely cooked and all the water evaporates. ( If the keema is yet to be done, but has dried completely then add 1 cup of water agian , so that mince and split bengal gram completely done )
3.Once the keema comes to room temperature , blend this mixture into food processor and discard if whole spices are to be seen .
4.Now place this mixture in a bowl , add egg , mix everything well . Let it rest for 5 minutes, now divide the mixture into lemon sized round shape and transform them into round flat kebabs.
5.Shallow fry the kebab in fry pan until they turn olden brown , remove and drain the kebabs on absorbent paper.
6.Serve hot with mint and coriander leaves chutney and lemon wedges.
- If you want you can shape your kebabs like the way I did ,( medu wada shape/ donuts shape) for that just make a hole in the middle of the round flat kebabs, with your finger to get my kind of shape for your delicious kebabs.
- Increase or decrease the chilly powder , whole spices and whole red chilly according to your preferences.
- If you want to make the CLASSIC NARGISI KEBBABS, then follow the procedure until step 3, boil 2 eggs, shed off the shell once is cools down, chop each boiled eggs into 4 , and then take a medium sized mixture, form into a thin ,flat tikki and place one egg piece in the middle. Now draw all the edges closer , in the middle and close them to form an oval shape shami kebab, Side by side heat oil in a kadhai, beat an egg in a bowl, dip each kebbab in the egg mixture and deep fry them.
- If you feel that your mince mixture is too dry then add 2 tbsp oil before grinding the mince in food processor .
PREPARATION TIME : 40 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.