Cheesy Chicken Kulcha
Cheesy Chicken Kulcha is a delicious and tempting recipe which is to be served with flavored curd or mint mayo dip. As the recipe do not need anything to be served with but I liked with mayo dip. It tastes delicious. Well this is not a regular kulcha in which cooked chicken keema or potatoes are stuffed and then rolled and grilled on tawa and formed into a kulcha.
At times, I feel the urge to prepare something really different and delicious too at the same time. So this time I thought let’s prepare something with chicken tandoori in the form of kulcha. Well the idea I got was from a veg restaurant in Mulshi ( mumbai – India) I had visited this place few years back, where the chef had served alu paratha in the form of kulchas and trust me that taste was delectable that since then I had kept in mind that I will prepare my chicken in some what that way.
So I created this Chicken Kulcha recipe, it has smoky flavored chicken chunks with a cheesy twist to it. These Chicken kulchas are so delicious and the best part is you get a flavorful chicken and that cheese oozing out makes it more scrumptious . To my surprise it was an instant hit at my place when I served it with flavored curd. My hubby was like “Zulekha you should make this cheesy chicken kulcha more often” and I loved this expression of his. Definitely this chicken kulcha recipe would be a must in my monthly list of “What to make for lunch and dinner”.
Here is my Recipe of Cheesy chicken kulcha served with flavored curd in lunch and with mayo dip in dinner.
You may also like
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATION:
- 300 -350 gms boneless chicken
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tandoori masala
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 tbsp thick curd
- pinch of red colour ( optional )
INGREDIENTS FOR DOUGH:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and half tsp full instant yeast
- 2 tbsp thick curd/ yogurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
OTHER INGREDIENTS :
- 1 coal
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup proceeded cheese grated
- 4-5 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 2-3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds ( optional )
HOW TO PREPARE CHICKEN FOR KULCHA:
- Clean, wash and chop chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate with ingredients mentioned under “marination” section for 3-4 hours or preferably over night.
2. In a pan add 1 -2 tbsp butter and add the chicken with all the marinade mixture. Cook the chicken till completely dry, until that chicken will also be done.
3. Side by side, hot coal until red, place a small silver foil or steel bowl in the middle of chicken and pour 1 tbsp oil . Immediately cover with lid and place something heavy on it so that the fumes do not come out and so the chicken gets a smoky flavor.
You can even grill the chicken in oven, weave the chicken on skewers and grill the chicken for 20 minutes at 170 degrees in a pre heat oven or until the chicken is done. In between like after 10 minutes bast with butter, flip and keep again in oven for 10 more minutes or till the chicken is completely done. Or if the chicken size is too small to be weaved then in an oven tray spread out the chicken with marinades,bast with butter and grill for about 10 minutes at 170 degrees in a pre heat oven, flip and bast with butter and for about 10 more minutes grill at 170 degree or till the chicken is completely cooked.
NOTE FOR CHICKEN:
- You can even ask your butcher to chop the boneless chicken into bite size.
- If you are preparing your chicken in oven and you want that black spots of grilling effect, for that just in the end for 2-3 minutes rise the temperature of the oven.
- If you are preparing the chicken in oven then you do not need to do red hot coal as the chicken will be charred in oven itself.
- You can either prepare chicken on gas in pan or in oven, which ever way is suitable for you.
- Increase or decrease the number of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- I have not added red food color but if you want you can add it.
PREPARE THE DOUGH :
- In a large bowl add flour, salt, ghee or oil, yeast , sugar , curd. Mix well.
2. Knead for 4-5 minutes by adding Luke warm water and make semi soft dough.
3. In a bowl, grease with little oil and place the dough. Cover with cling film and keep in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled.
NOTES FOR DOUGH :
- I have added instant yeast so I did not need to proof ( term used for rising bread dough ) it but if you are adding Active dry yeast then you need to proof it. For that in a bowl combine active dry yeast, sugar with some warm water. Mix well and keep to proof for 10 minutes.
- If you do not have active nor instant yeast, don’t panic, you can add baking soda and baking powder to make Naans.
- For making Butter Garlic Naan without yeast add 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp or a pinch baking soda with 2 cups of all purpose flour, mix well. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, salt, 1/2 cup curd, 1/2 warm milk and knead to a soft dough and follow the rest procedure.
- For Gluten free Naan bread without yeast follow these steps: add 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp or a pinch baking soda with 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour, mix well. Add 1/2 tsp sugar ( Make sure its pure sugar as its only gluten free ) , salt, 1/2 cup curd, 1/2 warm milk and knead to a soft dough and follow the rest procedure.
ASSEMBLING OF CHEESY TANDOORI CHICKEN KULCHA :
- After 2 hours take the dough and punch it. Knead again for 1-2 minutes. Now divide the dough into equal parts or divide into 8 portions
2. Take one portion, dust with some flour and roll into a a thick round circle.
3. Now place the prepared chicken in the center and add 2 tbsp grated cheese. ( or more )
4. Close the edges by making pleats and join all the pleats together, press all the pleats and flatten it by pressing with your fingers so that the ends are secured.
5. Reverse the ball and sprinkle some sesame seeds and coriander leaves , press with the finger tips.
6. Reverse again so that the coriander and sesame side face downwards, dust flour and gently roll into an oval shaped naan. Make sure you do not roll out too thick nor too thick and keep in mind that the size of kulcha should not be larger than your tawa.
7. Apply water with the help of a brush or with your finger tips on the cheesy chicken kulcha so that it sticks to the tawa and when we flip it up side down it would not fall.
8. Heat the iron skillet or any other tawa, just avoid non stick tawa. Once the skillet is hot, place the chicken kulcha gently on the tawa, make sure the portion on which water has being applied, place that side on hot tawa.
9. So like this the coriander and sesame side would be facing you. Slightly press the chicken kulcha’s this will help it to stick to the tawa and cook for a minute.
10. Now flip the tawa upside down and cook the kulcha directly on flame till they turn golden brown.
11. Brush with some butter too so that the kulchas remain soft. Gently scrap up the chicken kulcha from the tawa and serve hot with thick curd or flavored curd or mayo mint dip.
- Do not use non stick tawa as it will not hold the kulcha and when you flip the tawa cheesy chicken kulcha will start falling.
- You can use oven to cook cheesy chicken kulcha or tandoors or even you can grill it on coals.
- You can add processed cheese or mozzarella cheese or you can even add even both half of processed cheese and half mozzarella cheese.
PREPARATION TIME: 10- 15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 40- 45 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 50 -60 Minutes.
SERVES: 7 -8 .