Chicken Kali Mirch
Chicken Kali Mirch is a delicious and lip smacking Indian Gravy in which the gravy is made out of cashews and onions paste. Well the name says it all, that ingredient such as Black pepper is the main ingredient added to the gravy and chicken to make it more flavorful. Adding of honey to this rich, creamy and delicious textured gravy enhances the taste and cuts that much spiciness obtained by pepper powder.
This Recipe of Chicken kali mirch has somewhat resemblance to my Signature dish called ” white chicken ” aka safed murgh ( CLICK HERE FOR LINK ) where the recipe is somewhat similar to this recipe. Only black pepper is added more as the name of the recipe should also be justified.
Well this is a creamy and rich textured gravy , Here is my Restaurant style Chicken kali mirch recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE :
- 800 gms – 1 kg chicken with bones
- 2-3 green chilies
- 50 gms cashews
- 2 medium to large onions
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 heaped tsp coriander powder
- 3-4 black pepper corns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 – 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup thick curd
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 2 tsp kasuri methi dry leaves
- 2 tsp freshly coarsely grounded pepper powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp honey
- salt to taste
- oil / ghee/ butter
- 3/4 pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KALI MIRCH :
- Clean, wash, slit chicken pieces and marinate with salt , 3/4 tsp pepper powder, salt and 1 tbsp lemon juice for half an hour.
- Roughly chop onions and boil in 1 cup of water for 5-8 minutes. Let it come to room temperature.
- In a food processor blend together green chilies, cashews and onions to paste.
- In a non stick pan or kadhai add 2 tbsp butter, Fry the chicken pieces on high flame till almost dry and starts changing its color. ( make sure you flip the chicken pieces in between at intervals )
- Transfer the chicken pieces in a serving place once they have changed color and has almost dried.
- In a food processor add cashews, green chilies and onions with little water if needed and grind to smooth paste.
- In the same pan or kadhai drizzle some oil, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, pepper corns and cloves. Let it splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and roast till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the onion and cashew paste, mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add curd , mix well and again cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add salt, coriander powder, 1 tsp black pepper powder, cumin powder, mix well and roast the masala for 3-4 minutes or till the oil separates.
- Add chicken with the marinades and the remaining pepper powder,garam masala powder, mix well.
- Adjust salt and add 1 or 1 and half cup water in the food processor, shake and pour it to the gravy so that any paste stuck to the jar is utilized.
- Cover and cook on slow flame till the chicken is completely done.
- In between add milk , honey and mix well. Keep on slow flame till the gravy is thick and chicken is done.
- Lastly add cream, dry methi leaves and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some pepper powder as garnish.
- Serve Chicken Kali Mirch hot with fresh salads and parantha/ naan/ butter naan/ garlic naans / rotis/ phulkas.
- You can add green chilies as per your preferences like increase or decease the no of green chilies in this Chicken Kali Mirch recipe.
- I have added butter for frying the chicken, if you want you can add ghee or oil, as it depends on your preferences.
- If you do not want to add milk in Chicken Kali Mirch then you can skip that step.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 40 -45 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 55-60 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.