Fish Fry is a delicious dish served as a side dish along with jeera rice and Daal tadka. There are different ways of preparing fish fry such as directly adding spices to the fish and then frying it in hot oil. Or frying the fish and making a separate masala and then adding to the fish is another way of preparing fish fry.
Well you can make any kind of fish with this recipe, such as Basa fish, california fish, salmon and so on. But pomfret is the best fish for fish fry. Infact you can even chop the fish into pieces and then add to the prepared masala and make fish fry recipe.
Here the recipe I am sharing is one of my aged old recipe of fish fry which is tangy, spicy and has a perfect balance taste to it. The pulp of tomatoes make its tangy and rest taste is balanced with just 2 ingredients and that is red chilly powder and vinegar. This fish fry Recipe is so loved by my husband that he wants fish fry dinner every now and then.
You may also like my other Fish recipes
- 2 Pomfret or any fish of your choice
- 3-4 tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chilly powder ( kashmiri)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp vinegar
HOW TO MAKE FISH/ POMFRET FRY :
- Chop the tail, fins and near the eyes you can see the opening, hold the pomfret in vertical position and chop of that portion straight ( eyes position ). Scratch out all the scales or silver layer with help of knife. ( Do not be harsh, handle gently )
2. Now make a straight slit from head to half body and make 2 slits opposite to that slit which should be parallel to each other. ( make sure you handle gently)
3. Flip back and make 2- 3 slits as you can see in the picture.
4. Add 1 tsp salt to fish, apply over all with your fingers slowly, covering all the areas and keep for sometime or preferably 15 minutes or half an hour. ( here in this step you can add rock salt too, but if you do not have rock salt then add our regular salt, both are just fine)
5. Now wash the fish thoroughly, inside out remove the inner gill portion and lightly scratch out all the visible blackness inside and around the eye area.
6. In a pan drizzle oil and once hot, add turmeric powder and place the whole fish. Fry the fish / pomfret for few minutes, flip and fry the other side too. Once the fish is done transfer it on another plate.
7. In the same pan add oil if needed, add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears. ( I have prepared in 2 separate pans but you can prepare either in the same pan or in 2 separate pans, both are fine )
8. Add peeled and chopped/grated tomatoes to the pan. Fry till the juice has reduced. ( dry half the juice of tomatoes on medium flame, then slow down the flame)
9. Cover and cook on low flame till the tomatoes form into pulp. In between add salt and red chilly powder, mix well.
10. Fry till the oil separates and the tomatoes have formed into a pulp. Now add vinegar, mix well.
11. Place the fish/ pomfret in the tomato based masala and fry on high flame. Cook for 2 minutes, flip and fry the other side too so that all the masala get stick to the fish.
12. Serve hot with fresh salad.
COOKING TIPS :
- Either grate the tomatoes or chop and add them, both the ways are fine.
- Make sure you add red tomatoes, ripe ones. As they are more juicer and will form into pulp quickly.
- Increase or decrease the amount of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- Increase or decrease the amount of vinegar as per your preferences.
- If you are adding rock salt to the fish then make sure you keep for a longer period of time as compared to iodized salt.
- You can even prepare the delicious masala while the fish is being marinated with salt, like this you will save time. Make the tomato based gravy separately in kadhai or pan and fry the fish in another separate pan, both the ways are fine.
- You can prepare this recipe with any kind of fish you like, in fact you can make medium pieces of it too.
PREPARATION TIME : 10 Minutes.
COOKING TIME : 30 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 40 Minutes.
SERVES: 2 Persons.