Butter garlic Naan
Butter Garlic Naan is flat Indian Bread served with Butter chicken, Chicken Changezi, Mutton shahi korma or any other Indian Gravy as per your choice. Well you can prepare Butter garlic naan with wheat flour instead of all purpose flour, for healthier version of naan. Usually Naans are made on tandoor but you can either make Naans in oven or on tawa too. Here in this recipe I have prepared on tawa ( iron skillet).
If you are looking for Gluten Free Naan bread without yeast recipe you may check all steps in Notes at the end of this recipe.
There are many ways of making Naans like some make it without eggs and yeasts. Some Prepare with curd, milk, baking soda and baking powder. All are just perfectly fine, it all depends on the ingredients available on your kitchen self at that time.
You can even freeze it cooked or uncooked, both the details given in notes. Here is my recipe of Butter Garlic Naan.
You may also like:
- 2 cups all purpose flour ( maida ) i
- 1/2 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 6-7 crushed garlic
- Butter for garnishing
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
How to make Butter Garlic Naan:
- In a large bowl, sieve flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast. Mix well.
- Add water and start kneading into a soft dough with your hands for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer dough on the flat surface , sprinkle some dry flour if needed and knead well for about 7-8 minutes . Add oil in between and form a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough into a greased bowl ( grease with little oil ), cover with the cling film and keep in a warm , dry place for 1-2 hours or until the dough has doubled . ( here make sure you keep the dough until the dough rises as this may vary as in winter’s dough may take time to rise where as in summer it may rise quickly or some other conditions so better keep until the dough has doubled )
- Remove the dough from the bowl, and place it onto a flat surface/ kitchen platform. Knead it for about a minute and form a small sized balls.
- Mix garlic and coriander leaves chopped in a bowl for garnishing.
- Roll one small sized ball with a rolling pin in an oblong shape, sprinkle flour if needed.
- Take 1 tbsp -2 tbsp of garlic mixture and spread on top of naan. Roll over with the rolling pin so that garlic coriander mixture is pressed.
- Side by side hot tawa or iron skillet on high flame.
- Flip the naan on its back and apply plain water all over it. ( make sure you do not add too much of water or too less of it )
- Take the naan, the portion on which water has being applied and place that side on hot tawa. Press the naans by doing this the naans will stick to the tawa and will not fall once you flip the tawa.
- Let the naan cook for few seconds, now flip the tawa and cook the naan facing directly to the flame.
- By this time, you will notice that the naan is stuck to the tawa and you ‘d be lifting and flipping the tawa to cook the naan in direct flame for cooking.
- Once the brown spots appear, all over and is cooked, take the naan out with the help of spatula and smear some butter on it.
- Serve Butter garlic naan with any choice of your Indian Gravy.
- This below pic is of instant yeast which I usually add nowadays. It has to be added directly as it do not need proofing for 10 minutes.
- I have added instant yeast so I did not need to proof ( term used for rising bread dough ) it but if you are adding Active dry yeast then you need to proof it. For that in a bowl combine active dry yeast, sugar with some warm water. Mix well and keep to proof for 10 minutes.
- If you do not have active nor instant yeast, don’t panic, you can add baking soda and baking powder to make Naans.
- For making Butter Garlic Naan without yeast add 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp or a pinch baking soda with 2 cups of all purpose flour, mix well. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, salt, 1/2 cup curd, 1/2 warm milk and knead to a soft dough and follow the procedure from step 3.
- For Gluten free Naan bread without yeast follow these steps: add 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp or a pinch baking soda with 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour, mix well. Add 1/2 tsp sugar ( Make sure its pure sugar as its only gluten free ) , salt, 1/2 cup curd, 1/2 warm milk and knead to a soft dough and follow the procedure from step 3
- Make sure you do not use non stick tawa for preparing the naans as when you flip the non stick tawa the naan will fall off.
- TO FREEZE HOME MADE UNCOOKED NAANS : Follow the procedure till 6 step, once all the Naans are rolled, Place parchment sheet in between each rolled out naans. Then carefully transfer pile to zip lock bag and freeze on flat surface. ( Make sure you do not follow the step 5. When you want to cook add the garlic coriander mixture that time freshly crushed and chopped )
- TO FREEZE HOME MADE COOKED NAANS: Follow the procedure till step 11, do not flip just cook briefly on flat skillet/tawa. Then let them come to room temperature. Transfer to zip lock bag and freeze. ( Make sure do not follow the step 5. When you want to cook add the garlic coriander mixture that time freshly crushed and chopped )
- For more healthier version of this naan recipe replace wheat flour with all purpose flour.
- Best if made on iron skillet. The naans will stick to the tawa and shall not fall off.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour an half hour – 2 Hours.
COOKING TIME: 20 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME : 1 Hour and 50 Minutes – 2 Hours and 20 minutes.
SERVES : 4 Persons.