Chicken Changezi is a rich creamy and delicious textured main course served with flat breads like Naans or Tandoori Roti. It is said that the name ” changezi ” in this dish is due to the fact that it originated at the time of some warrior or conqueror named Changez ( khan ). But there are no proven facts and hence it is all not clear.
Well, though the name states, that this recipe is very old and yet the creamy and tangy touch of it is still in tact. Though Chicken Changezi is one of the most popular dish in Delhi. Delhi preferably old Delhi have witnessed such epic and popular dishes, which are not only famous in India but are very well being appreciated all over the World.
Chicken Changezi recipe is one of those, which you will surly keep making for life long. Here is my version of this tangy creamy and tempting recipe of Chicken Changezi.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Lucknowi Chicken Korma
- Restaurant Style Butter Chicken
- Chicken curry
- Lachedar paratha/ flaky paratha
- 1 kg chicken ( 10 -12 pieces )
- 2 medium sized onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp chat masala powder
- 50 gms cashews
- 3-4 almonds
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 4-5 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 6-7 tbsp milk
- 4-5 tbsp coriander leaves for garnishing
- 2 green chillies
MARINATION INGREDIENTS :
- 1 tbsp red chilly powder
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN CHANGEZI
- Clean, wash and marinate the chicken pieces with ingredients mentioned under “MARINATION INGREDIENTS” section for about an hour.
- In non stick pan, drizzle some oil and add thinly sliced onions. Fry till golden in colour and in between add cashews and almonds.
- Once the onions turn golden in colour, add peeled and chopped ripe tomatoes. ( If you do not want to add tomatoes here at this stage, check NOTES for tweaked recipe )
- Fry until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Now drain the onion, cashews, almonds and tomatoes in a bowl and let it cool.
- Once they come to room temperature, blend them together with milk in a food processor till smooth.
- In marinated chicken, add curd and mix well.
- In the same pan, drizzle some oil if needed and add the chicken along with the marinade, fry till the chicken dries up.
- Transfer to a dish or bowl and in the same pan heat ghee, add chopped green chilies. Fry for a minute and drain few green chilies, keep aside for garnishing. ( do not drain all green chillies, just keep aside few for garnishing )
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till raw smell disappears.
- Now add the onion, tomato, cashew, almond paste with salt, coriander powder, red chilly powder. Mix well and cook on low flame till oil separates.
- Add partially cooked chicken, crushed kasuri methi and mix well.
- Add 1/2 – 3/4 cup of water in the bowl in which chicken was kept, mix well and pour over the gravy. ( this step is to make sure that all the masala which is stuck at the sides or left over is utilized )
- Add fresh cream and mix well.
- Sprinkle some garam masala powder, cumin powder and chat masala powder. Cook till the chicken is completely done and the gravy is thick.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and top some green chillies which were kept aside.
- Serve hot Chicken Changezi with zeera rice or lachedar parantha or tandoori roti or Naans.
- Click here for lachedar paratha/ flaky parathas.
- You can either add tomatoes to the onions and them blend them to paste after they come to room temperature or you can just fry the onions and cashews and almonds, drain and pulse to smooth paste. Add tomatoes after you add ginger garlic paste and let it form to pulp and then continue the procedure. Both are fine.
- Increase or decrease the no of green chilies as per your preferences.
- Increase or decrease the no of tbsp of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- You can make Chicken Changezi of chicken boneless too, just that do not keep for long after you add the chicken pieces to the gravy.
- You can even add Chicken tikka ‘s for this recipe, instead of chicken boneless. The recipe is of chicken tikka masala but you can prepare the tikkas from it and add to chicken changezi.
- Subscribe my Youtube channel for video recipes by clicking here
PREPARATION TIME : 15 – 20 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 30 – 35 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 45 – 55 Minutes Approximately.
SERVES: 4 Persons.
If you like my Chicken Changezi Recipe, then feel free to comment in the comment’s section below.