Gobi Paratha /Cabbage onion paratha can be made in 2 -3 ways like directly adding either the gobi with the spices to the wheat flour or cooking cabbage with the spices and then kneading altogether into a soft dough. This is one way of making . Another way is you can separately make dough and prepare cabbage mixture and then stuff the gobi mixture into the rolled chapatis. This method is different, yet another way of making Gobi paratha.
Here is the Recipe of Gobi paratha / Cabbage Paranthas.
You may also make following recipe to enhance your Gobi ka Paratha
Kachumbar / Onion Raita recipe
- 150 – 200 gms cabbage grated (1 and 1/2 cup – 2 cups tightly packed shredded or grated)
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 2 -3 finely chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp finely chopped or grated ginger
- 1 tsp coriander leaves
- 1/2 -1 tsp red chilly powder ( spicy )
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 whole red chilly
- Ghee/ clarified butter
- Cooking oil
HOW TO MAKE GOBI PARATHA:
- In a fry pan , drizzle some oil and add broken whole red chilly and cumin seeds , let it splutter.
- Add finely chopped onions and salt , fry until translucent.
- Add red chilly powder , coriander powder , cumin powder , garam masala powder and mix well .
- Add finely chopped cabbage and fry on medium until the spices have mixed well with cabbage.
- Slow down the gas flame , adjust the salt and turn off the gas . Let the cabbage mixture cool. ( As salt has been added before , so adding of salt shall depend once you taste it )
- In a large bowl add wheat flour with salt , mix well .
- Add the prepared cabbage mixture with some coriander leaves and knead well .
- Add little luke warm water and knead into a semi soft dough.
- Now divide the dough into equal parts and make balls out of it .
- Take a ball , flatten it and roll or dust some plain dry flour .
- Roll the flatten ball into a medium thick paratha.
- Heat non stick pan/ tawa and place the parantha.
- Cook the paratha using little ghee / oil and fry on medium flame on both the sides until golden brown spot appear on both the sides. Keep flipiing the parathas at intervals so that the paranthas cook well from all sides.
- Press the edges with the help of a spetula so that the edges too are well cooked.
- Repeat the same steps to make more paranthas with the remaining dough.
- Serve Gobi ka Paratha hot with curd , flavored curd , chutney or pickle.
- Adding of onions may make this Recipe of Gobi Paratha / Pyaaz Paratha , but then if you do not want to add onions you can skip it , add 3-4 cups of finely chopped cabbage instead of 2 cups , if you are not adding onions to it. ( I usually add onions , to give more flavor to my paranthas )
- Increase or decrease the number of green chilies as per your preferences .
- If you want more spicy you can add more 1/2 tsp red chilly powder. ( spicy red chilly powder )
- If you are adding red chilly powder which is less spicy then add 1 tsp or more instead of 1/2 tsp.
- If you want you can add crushed kastri methi too to the cabbage mixture add preferably before switching off the gas .
- You can add 1/2 tsp amchur powder too .
- You can even make stuffed Gobi paratha like we make alu / aloo parathas , for that make sure you roll gently or else the stuffing will tend to ooze out .
ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE GOBI PARATHA:
In a large bowl add wheat flour , salt , red chilly powder , cumin powder , cumin seeds , coriander powder , turmeric powder , garam masala powder , dry kastur methi crushed , ginger finely chopped or crushed , grated or finely chopped cabbage , 2 tbsp oil , chopped coriander leaves onions ( optional ). mix well and knead it into a semi soft dough with the help of little luke warm water. Add 2 tbsp oil and knead again for 2 -3 minutes.
Now follow the procedure from step 9 – step 16.
ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE GOBI PARATHA:
In a large bowl combine 2 cups wheat flour with 2 -3 tbsp oil and salt . Knead well into a soft dough with the help of luke warm water . Let the dough rest for 10 -15 minutes .
Mean while prepare the cabbage mixutre , follow the procedure from 1 – 5 step.
Now take 2 small to medium sized balls from the dough , dust some dry flour .
Roll each into a 5-6 inch diameter rounds , more or less both of same size .
On one of the rolled dough circle place a generous amount of cabbage stuffing in the middle of it , keep an empty space at the edges .
Gently place the second circle on top of that , seal the edges gently by pressing it with your finger tips .
Dust some dry wheat flour on both the sides of stuffed parantha and roll into a chapati or normal sized roti.
Now follow the same procedure from step 12 – step 16.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 30 -35 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 40 – 45 Minutes Approximately.
SERVES: 2 Persons.