Enchilada Sauce is a Mexican sauce, particularly made of tomato and chilly sauce. This sauce is topped over various baked dishes , more over particular used as one of the main ingredients in making Enchiladas. The best part of this sauce is you can make a big batch and then store in a glass jar and freeze it for further use. Homemade Enchilada Sauce is very versatile sauce which can be used with various dishes. In homemade enchilada you may tweak taste according to your needs. If you buy enchilada sauce from store you do not have that liberty.
ENCHILADA SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stalk
- 170 gms tomatoes paste / tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin powder ( roasted and grounded )
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
HOW TO MAKE ENCHILADA SAUCE AT HOME
- Blanch, peel and grind the tomatoes in a food processor. ( skip this step, if you are not using ready made tomato paste ).
- Heat oil in a pan , add flour and stir continuously until it turns smooth and no lumps formed , if any, break it with your spatula by pressing it.
- Cook this mixture for a minute and add chilly powder , stir and within few seconds add tomato paste and chicken stock. ( make sure here after adding the red chilly powder , you slow down the gas or else the chilly powder will burn )
- Add the remaining ingredients like mixed herbs , onion powder , garlic powder , cumin powder, sugar, salt as per your taste.
- Bring to boil and let it simmer for 10 -13 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve or once completely cool , transfer the sauce to an air tight container or glass jar and store in freezer for further use.
- If you want more spicy than add paprika powder or cayenne powder after you add the remaining ingredients .
- If you want you can even add finely chopped green chillies too.
- You can preserve the remaining sauce in glass jar and freeze it for next use.
PREPARATION TIME : 5 Minutes.
COOKING TIME : 15-20 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME : 20 Minutes.