The procedure is like how we use to make a paper fan in our childhood , its exactly the same , in fact whenever I prepare Lacha paratha it takes me to my childhood memories the most nostalgic ones.
Coming back to the recipe without much ado. Here is the recipe of Lacha Paratha aka Lachedar Paratha.
You may also like
- Two and 1/2 cup all purpose flour ( maida )
- 1/2 cup oil or warm ghee
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/8th tsp sugar (optional )
- Warm water as desired
HOW TO MAKE LACHA PARATHA
- In a large bowl , add flour , salt and sugar (optional ) mix well .
- Add warm ghee and crumble well with your hands.
- Now add milk and start kneading into a soft dough , if required add water too for kneading. Cover with a damp mulmul cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6-7 portions and shape each into a ball shape.
- Take one dough ball , roll it into a 6-7 inch diameter circle on a dusted rolling board.
- Apply ghee or oil evenly on it and sprinkle some dry flour on it.
- Start making small pleats with the help of your fingers , say about 1/2 inch pleat each , starting from one edge and completing it on the other edge. Stretch the pleated dough as much as possible . ( like we use to make a fan of paper in childhood , same way you have to make small pleates from one end to another )
- Now roll the pleated dough like a swiss roll and secure the ends by pressing gently.
- After dividing the dough into equal portions , take a small dough , roll it into a 6-7 inch diameter circle on a dusted rolling board. Apply ghee or oil evenly on it and sprinkle some dry flour on it. Now with the help of a knife cut the paratha into thin strips , starting from one edge to the other . Now place each strip one by one on the base strip until all placed, roll like a swiss roll and secure the ends by pressing gently . ( another way of making lacha paratha )
- Dust in flour and lightly roll with a rolling pin into a round shape paratha of about 5 inch diameter.
- Side by side , heat tawa , once the tawa is hot , place the paratha and roast.
- Once the side is roasted , flip and add ghee , cook for about a minute on medium flame.
- Now again turn and apply ghee on the other side too.
- Keep flipping few more times until the paratha is cooked properly and turns light brown in color.
- Cook well by pressing the sides with a spatula , flip and press the sides with a spatula.
- Crush the paratha so that the layers are visible. ( optional step )
- Serve hot with any Indian curry or vegetable curry of your choice.
- After making pleats , roll the lacha paratha very lightly with a rolling pin. Do not press it too hard on.
- You can replace the all purpose flour with wheat flour or you can add half of all purpose flour and half of wheat flour in lacha paratha it totally depends on you.
- Best made with wheat flour for healthy diet.
COURSE : Breakfast .
PREPARATION TIME : 10 -15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 3-4 Persons.