Butter Chicken Frankie
Though Frankie is a famous Indian street food , served in all street side joints with many variations like mutton frankie , chicken frankie , veg frankie and so on.
Well I was preparing Butter Chicken with butter naan for my afternoon meal , but as I wanted to have something different so end up making into Frankie style . To my surprise my Butter Chicken Frankie turned out so delicious that my family demanded to make it more often . Here is my Butter Chicken Frankie recipe .
INGREDIENTS FOR MARINATION :
1 kg boneless chicken
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp tandoori masala
1/4 cup curd
1 tbsp lemon
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
1-2 tbsp oil
1 tsp red chilly powder
pinch of red food colour ( optional )
INGREDIENTS FOR GRAVY :
3-4 large tomatoes
1 small cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1- 2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp red chilly powder ( kashmiri )
3 – 4 finely chopped green chilies ( optional )
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 small tsp sugar
1/2 cup yoghurt
pinch of food colour ( optional )
2 tbsp cream ( fresh cream )
2 onions finely chopped
2 nos finely chopped green chilies
6-7 tsp Vinegar
- Clean , wash and chop chicken boneless into medium pieces and marinate them with salt , ginger garlic paste, curd , garam masala, tandoori masala , red chilly powder , oil , lemon juice , cumin powder and food colour ( optional ) for few hours , I mostly marinate them a night before preparing biryani and refrigerate them.
- In a fry pan add 2 tbsp butter and fry the marinated chicken pieces for about 3-4 minutes , flip and fry the other side too until done . ( note : this frying shall not take more than 10 -15 minutes ) OR
- Alternatively you can grill the chicken pieces in oven too , weave the chicken pieces on skewers and grill them in pre heat oven at 180 degree C for 20 minutes or until done . Make sure you keep an oven tray beneath so that the masala that drips will be later added to the gravy . Grill the chicken pieces for 10 minutes , bast with butter , flip and grill the other side too until slightly charred and done. ( my oven has a rotary system so I just baste the pieces at few intervals )
- Heat the coal on gas . In a pot add all the chicken pieces and once the coal is red hot , place it in between the chicken pieces on a small piece of foil or small steel bowl , add 1 tbsp oil or butter on the coal and cover immediately , this step will give a smoky flavour to the chicken pieces . After sometime discard the coal and keep the chicken pieces aside.
- If you have prepared the chicken tikkas in pan instead of oven, after you give smoke to the tikkas , weave only the chicken pieces on skewers , baste with butter and directly grill them from all over to give charred effect . Preserve the gravy or you can say marinade for further use . ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat)
- In a food processor , grind cashews and blanched tomatoes , keep aside.
- In a deep pan or kadhai drizzle little butter and oil add whole garam masala like peppercorns , cinnamon stick , green cardamom , cloves . Let it splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
- Add this cashew paste and fry until oil separates.
- Now add salt , red chilly powder , coriander powder and roast for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup water and fry until oil separates. Now add curd and marinade ( the preserved gravy if left when preparing chicken pieces ) and fry for sometime.
- Lastly add cumin powder , garam masala powder , green chillies chopped ( optional ) and sugar . Cook for 5 minutes and adjust salt and red chilly powder.
- Add milk , cream , mix well and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes .
- Now add chicken tikkas and mix well , cook for 7 – 10 minutes , adjust the gravy ( for frankie , you need thick gravy ) and off the gas.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and here your butter chicken is ready to assemble into Butter chicken frankie .
- Adding of food colour is optional in Butter Chicken Frankie .
- You can adjust the spice, increase or decrease the chilly powder and green chillies as per your taste and preferences.
- You can skip cream , but adding makes it more flavourful .
- You can skip sugar too , but I always prefer adding sugar as it gives the balance taste . Instead of sugar you can add tomato sauce too .
- Instead of adding blanched tomatoes , you can add chopped tomatoes.
- Instead of doing Coal dhughar on the chicken pieces , skip giving coal dhungar over the pieces and give the dungaar when the butter chicken is fully prepared , this will give smokey flavour in the thick gravy .
- You can do hot coal dhungar on chicken pieces and after the completion of the gravy too . Either give both the times or as per mentioned above in the method section or just after the butter chicken is fully prepared , choice is yours .
NOTE : Coal Dhungaar method means smoking a dish with hot charcoal and is referred to as coal smoking too .
1 1/2 – 2 cup maida ( all purpose flour)
4 -5 tbsp oil / ghee
water as required
1. Knead the maida ( all purpose flour) with required amount of water and salt, while kneading it, add ghee or oil in between the process and knead it into a semi soft dough. ( dough should not be too soft nor too hard) . Cover with kitchen towel and let it rest for 10 -15 minutes .
2. Divide the dough into equal parts, Now roll each part into a long roll of the size of chappatis. ( roti)