Afghani chicken is a creamy, delicious and scrumptious recipe where the base or you can say the creamy texture is but obvious from the cashews and onions paste. Though the main spice comes from the mixed spice powder ( garam masala powder ) and not by red chilly powder or green chilies. But as my family loves a bit spicy gravies so I have added green chilies in my Afghani Chicken gravy but if you want you can skip it.
Here is my Afghani Chicken Recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 2-3 tbsp fresh cream
- 3 onions
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup curd
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp kasuri methi ( dry)
- 1 tsp khukhus
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
HOW TO MAKE AFGHANI CHICKEN:
- Trim the fats of chicken, wash, drain and marinate it with salt, ginger garlic paste, curd, lemon juice, garam masala powder for half an hour.
- In a bowl add 1 cup water and boil roughly chopped onions for about 5-8 minutes. Off the gas and let it cool.
- Once the onions cool down and come to room temperature, blend it with cashews, khus khus and green chilly in a food processor till smooth.
- In a non stick pan or kadhai drizzle some oil, when the oil turns hot add the chicken with the marinades.
- Fry the marinated chicken for 5 -7 minutes. Make sure you flip the chicken pieces at intervals.
- Now make some space in between the kadhai and with the help of spatula shift the chicken pieces at the edge.
- Add the cashew, onion and green chilly paste and cook on medium flame till the oil starts separating.
- Now mix everything together, cover and cook on slow flame till the oil separates and the chicken is almost done.
- Add one cup water to the gravy, adjust salt and spices.
- Cover and cook on slow flame till the chicken is completely done and the gravy turns thick.
- Add fresh cream and dry kasuri methi , simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with Butter Naans, tandoori roti, phulkas or parathas and fresh salads.
- If you do not want to add fresh cream then skip it .
- I added 2-3 tbsp fresh cream but if you want to add more fresh cream you can.
- This recipe doesn’t demand adding of green chilies but to add some spice I have added so you can add or skip.
- Increase the number of green chilies as per your preferences.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 30-35 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 40 – 45 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.