Tandoori Chicken Without Oven
Tandoori chicken is named after tandoor in which the dish is traditionally prepared. Tandoori chicken basically comes from punjab ( India) , but it has its roots from mughal era too. Tandoori Chicken is marinated in curd, lemon juice and other spices , then grilled in tandoor after few hours, which gives a mesmerizing and lip smacking flavor to the chicken making it dry and juicy at the same time.
Tandoori Chicken on gas/stove
Though Tandoori Chicken is preferably cooked in tandoor or in oven, but here the recipe which I am presenting and have followed since ages is cooked in a non stick pan and then grilled on gas stove for the grilling effect. Make Tandoori Chicken Without oven & without hassle.
Tandoori chicken is served with mint and coriander chutney ( Click here for chutney recipe ) and raw spicy or non spicy onion salad rings. This is the most famous and favorable dish from India, which many parts of the world relish it today.
Here is my tongue tickling Recipe of Tandoori Chicken on stove. Do try it out .
You may also like
- 800 gms chicken leg pieces ( 3 leg pieces )
- 3-4 tbsp thick curd
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp tandoori masala
- 1-2 red chilly powder ( kashmiri )
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Butter / oil
- Red colour ( optional )
HOW TO MAKE TANDOORI CHICKEN WITHOUT OVEN & TANDOOR
1. Clean , wash the leg pieces , make few deep 2-3 slits length wise . Place chicken in a large shallow bowl, Apply salt , half lemon juice and 1/2 tsp red chilly powder , set aside for 15-20 minutes. ( make sure you remove the skin from chicken leg )
2. In a bowl, add curd, salt, ginger garlic, tandoori masala, cumin powder , garam masala powder ( all spices powder) and red chilly powder ( kashmiri ) , mix everything well until a smooth paste. ( you can add red colour too )
3. Apply this mixture onto each chicken pieces, and marinate for a night before preparing tandoori chicken . ( If you running out of time, marinate for 5 -6 hours )
4. In a non stick pan, drizzle little oil and add these marinated pieces , and fry on slow flame for 20 Minutes or until done . ( make sure you keep flipping at intervals, in fact after few minutes, cover and cook on low flame and keep flipping until chicken is done )
5. By this time its almost done .
6. Now grill the chicken pieces, on low flame on gas, keep grill rack on the gas and place chicken on it. Bast the chicken with butter for better taste . Keep shifting the chicken with the help of tongs , for eg, front , back and sides, so that it gets cooked and grilled from all sides, and gives a good grill taste like we get on charcoal cooked chicken tandoori’s. ( make sure that you keep on low flame )
Serve hot with mint and coriander chutney and spicy onion salad rings.
- You can directly add the spices and curd onto chicken pieces, but the whole idea of first mixing them in a bowl is that , all the spices reach to each and every part of chicken in equal qantity.
- You can adjust the spice according to your taste buds.
- If the chicken does not cook until the given time , keep for more 5 -7 Minutes, as sometimes the pieces are too huge which in turn takes time to be done completely.
- Now a days I do not bast with butter as my husband has become very health conscious , so just at the time of frying it i drizzle oil and that’s it, so you can avoid it too.
- I never add tandoori colour to the leg pieces , but if you wish to , you can.
PREPARATION TIME: 40 minutes + time for marination.
SERVES: 3 Persons.