Chicken chilly gravy is an Indo Chinese dish served with fried rice , tossed in Chinese sauces and veggies , which gives a mesmerizing flavor . As in today’s world every one and each corner of the world is aware of Chinese cuisine and so they all have their way of cooking Chinese cuisine. Like in India , we have street Chinese and authentic fine dine too , both have their way of preparing Chinese dishes.
Though here in my recipe I have tweaked a bit to suit my taste buds like an authentic way of cooking chicken chilly gravy is to first marinate the chicken , then deep fry it, and then toss in Chinese sauces and vegetables, but here I haven’t deep fried the chicken , have directly fried in some oil which gives more flavor to my chicken and is healthy too as I am not deep frying . This idea is inspired from one of the restaurant in India named Shalimar , here they serve the best Indo Chinese chicken chilly gravy , in which the chef do not deep fry the chicken and directly fry which gives a wonderful flavor to the chicken.
Without much a do, here is my recipe of chicken chilly gravy…!
150- 200 gms chicken boneless
2-3 tbsp soya sauce
1/8 tsp pepper powder
1 Capsicum chopped into medium chunks
1 onion chopped into medium chunks
3-4 green chilies chopped into long strips
7-8 cloves of finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp pepper powder
3-4 tbsp soya sauce
1-2 green chilly sauce ( optional)
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
1-2 tbsp corn flour
2 cups water
- Clean , wash and make small or medium pieces of boneless chicken and marinate it for 2-3 with all the ingredients mentioned under “marination” section.
- Now in a pan drizzle some oil , add marinated chicken and cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes.
- By this time the chicken is almost cooked and no traces of water is seen. Transfer the chicken to another plate and keep aside.
- In the same wok / pan add little oil, green chilies and chopped garlic ,fry for a minute on medium flame . ( make sure that garlic do not change the colour)
- Add onions and fry for a minute again on medium flame.
- Add soya sauce , vinegar , salt, pepper powder and green chilly sauce ( optional ) and vinegar .
- In a large bowl dilute cornflour to 2 cups of water and add to the prepared sauce.
- Once the gravy boils add chicken chunks and green capsicum . Adjust the seasonings and sauces .
- Garnish with few chopped spring onions ( green )
- Serve hot with fried rice . ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat)
- Add green chilies as per your preferences.
- Avoid adding of ajinomoto ( MSN ) as its not good for health but if you want to add you can, it totally depends on you.
- Adding of capsicum and onions are as per my preferences but if you do not like too much of veggies then add half onion ( chopped into medium chunks ) and half capsicum ( chopped into medium chunks )