Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken is delicious and different type of Indo Chinese cuisine , in which chicken is deep fried and saute with bell peppers , sweet , sour and spicy sauce. If you love varieties and do not mind a taste that has a bit of sweetness to it then this homemade sweet and sour chicken is definitely for you .
Here is my Sweet and sour Chicken recipe .
You may also like
- 300 gms chicken boneless ( thigh portion )
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp chilly sauce
- 1 small green capsicum
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup pine apple ( chopped into small cubes )
- 2 -3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp apple cidar vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp tomato ketch up
- 1 tbsp chilly sauce
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 6-7 cloves of finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or pine apple juice
- 1 tbsp cornflour + 1 cup cornflour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- Clean , wash and chop boneless chicken pieces into medium sized pieces and marinate with salt , pepper powder , 1 tbsp soya sauce and 2 tbsp chilly sauce for 15 minutes .
- Side by side in a deep pan heat oil , once the oil has become hot , slow down the flame.
- Now take one piece of chicken , dip in egg mixture , roll in cornflour and slowly place in hot oil .
- Repeat the above procedure for other chicken pieces too and deep fry until they turn golden in colour . ( make sure you fry them in batches on medium flame )
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside .
- In another pan drizzle 2 tbsp oil , add chopped pineapple and fry for 2 – 3 minutes on medium flame .
- Now add chopped ginger and garlic , fry for a minute on low flame .
- Add soya sauce , tomato ketch up , 1 tbsp chilly sauce , honey , vinegar and stock or pine apple juice.
- Dilute 1/2 or 3/4 tbsp cornflour in 1/8 th cup water and add to the gravy .
- Add fried chicken pieces and bell peppers , mix well .
- When the gravy thickens , adjust the seasonings and sauces , turn off the gas .
- Sprinkle some spring onions ( green ) chopped and serve hot.
- I added pine apple juice , but if you want you can add chicken stock in Sweet and Sour chicken. Both are fine .
- Increase or decrease the amount of chilly sauce as per your preference .
- After you add 2 tbsp honey , if need more to adjust the taste add 1 tbsp honey as per your taste .
- If you want to serve with flavored rice or chicken / veg fried rice then make good gravy , instead of adding 1/2 or 3/4 tbsp cornflour add 2 tbsp cornflour in 1 cup water and add to gravy , once the gravy thickens , adjust the seasonings and sauces . ( If you are making a good amount of gravy then make sure you add more sauces and seasonings as per your taste )
PREPARATION TIME : 10 -15 Minutes .
COOKING TIME : 40 Minutes approximately .
TOTAL TIME : 50 -55 Minutes .
SERVES : 2 Persons .