Gosht aknee pulao also known as Mutton Pulao is an authentic recipe served with sweet and sour onion raita ( recipe in notes ) which I have been making it since the time I recollect my memories. I always think that anything prepared with mutton is simply irresistible.
Mutton Pulao is typically made the way which I am sharing here, as long back we use to add Split Bengal gram, but as of now people do not add it as it has to be pre soaked or for any other reasons.
I know its simply satisfying when you make an authentic mutton pulao, let me correct my self, proper authentic mutton aknee pulao, though before I never use to cook mutton in pressure cooker. But in todays time due to hectic schedule one has other work commitments too then too I prepare in pressure cooker only when I run out of time.
I would advice if you have time do not use pressure cooker for any mutton gravies or pulao, as the tastes best simply delicious if cooked on vessel rather than in pressure cooker.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE :
- 2 and 1/2 cups pulav rice / basmati rice
- 250 – 300 gms lamb mutton
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- 3- 4 pepper corns
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic
- 3 medium sized onions
- 1/4 cup split Bengal gram|chana daal
- 1/2 cup thick curd
- 6-7 light green chilies
- coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
HOW TO MAKE MUTTON PULAO
1. Wash rice and chana dal separately and soak them ( separately) in clean water for about an hour.
2. Clean and wash mutton, then in a pressure cooker add salt, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, salt and 2 cups water with mutton, and let it whistle for a minute on high flame, slow down the flame and let it whistle until the mutton is partially done. ( just off the gas, let it cool then open the pressure cooker lid and check if its partially done or no, you can make out by pressing one of the meat piece and if its soft then off the gas and if its hard then it means it needs to be pressured few more whistles on slow flame.)
3. In a deep thick bottomed vessel add oil and the whole spices such as bay leaves, star anise, cumin seeds, cinnamon,pepper corns, cloves, let it splutter.
4. Now add onions and fry until they start changing color, add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
5. Now add curd and saute for a minute, add salt, crushed green chillies and chopped coriander leaves with pre soaked daal and fry for sometime.
6. Now add 5 cups of mutton stalk and bring a boil, add desired salt for rice portion, drain rice and add to the prepared mixture ( when the water is boiling)
7. Once half water has dried up, slow down the gas, adjust salt and if needed add slitted whole green chillies, place the vessel on iron griddle. ( previously hot the griddle on high flame and when you place the pulao vessel on it slow down the flame)
8. Cover with the lid ,( if possible keep anything heavy weighted on the lid so that the steam remains inside itself and so the rice will get cooked in the steam itself). Cook on low flame until the rice is completely done, Serve hot with sweet and sour onion raita.
- Sweet and sour onion raita ( CLICK HERE FOR RECIPE )
- If the water has dried up and yet the rice need to be cooked then sprinkle 1/2 cup of water all over aknee/ pulao, cover and cook till its completely done.
- If you want you can add potatoes ( peel and chopped into four pieces) and add during the time you add chana daal.
- Best when the gosht is cooked in vessel other then in pressure cooker, for that:
- omit the step in which the mutton cooked in cooker.Soak the rice and split Bengal gram separately, then start from step 3 to step 5, just don’t add split Bengal gram ( daal ) , then add 2- 3 cups of water and cook until the mutton is partially cooked,( If mutton isint cooked, you can add 1 cup water again until mutton is partially cooked) once the mutton is partially cooked add pre soaked daal and continue from step 6 till step 8.
- If you preparing mutton in vessel then instead of mutton stalk add 5 cups of water as you wont be pre boiling the mutton.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the mutton.
- Mutton Pulao test best when served with sweet and sour onion raita.
- Channa dal optional in mutton pulao recipe its totally upon you to add to aknee or no.
PREPARATION TIME: Approximately 1 Hour. ( extra time for soaking)
SERVES: 4 Persons.