Chicken pulao or you may even name it Chicken aknee pulao is easy to make and tastes delicious when served with sweet and sour raita ( recipe in notes ). In this recipe the ingredients are just few but having said that, the recipe if full of flavors.
In fact this recipe is a must on every Friday at my place if I do not make Dal gosht ( click here for recipe ). Some dishes are classic and this is one of them. Chicken pulao is a quick fix when it comes to time as compared to Mutton pulao but I cannot choose one as they both are my favorites. Here is my Recipe of Chicken pulao.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE :
- 2 or 2 and 1/2 cups pulav rice|basmati rice
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- 3- 4 pepper corns
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 star anise
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic
- 3 -4 medium sized onions
- 1/2 cup thick curd
- 6-7 light green chillies
- 3-4 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
How to make Chicken pulao :
- Wash rice 3-4 times in running water and soak them in clean water for about half an hour.
- Clean and wash chicken pieces and keep aside.
- In a deep thick bottomed vessel add oil and the whole spices such as bay leaves, cumin seeds, cinnamon,pepper corns, star anise, cloves, let it splutter.
- Now add onions and fry until they start changing color, add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
- Now add curd and saute for a minute or two. Add the chicken pieces and salt, cover and cook for 4-7 minutes.
- Add crushed green chillies and chopped coriander leaves fry for sometime.
- Keep on slow flame till the chicken is almost done .
- Add 3-4 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Add drained basmati rice and salt as per the rice portion.
- Once half water has dried up, slow down the gas, adjust salt and if needed add slitted whole green chillies too, place the vessel on iron griddle. ( previously hot the griddle on high flame and when you place the pulao vessel on it slow down the flame)
- Cover with the lid ,( if possible keep anything heavy weighted on the lid so that the steam remains inside itself and so the rice will get cooked in the steam itself). Cook on low flame until the rice is completely done, Serve hot with sweet and sour onion raita or bondi raita or flavored curd.
- For sweet and sour onion raita recipe( click here )
- If the water has dried up and yet the rice need to be cooked then sprinkle 1/2 cup of water all over aknee/ pulao, cover and cook till its completely done.
- If you want you can add potatoes ( peel and chopped into four pieces) and add during the time you add Chicken.
- Add green chilies as per your preference.
- Best when served with sweet and sour onion raita.
- At times I prepare this chicken pulao with regular rice and not with basmati rice, so you can also prepare the chicken pulao with regular rice too.
PREPARATION TIME : 15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME : 45 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME : 55- 60 Minutes.
SERVES : 3-4 Persons.