I have been making this kind of chana batata since past 15 -17 years now, but never got the chance to put up on my blog. Infact whenever I make chana batatas and post on any of FB groups ( social networking site ) , I get many request to put up the recipe. Well since then I am struggling to draft this recipe last 2 years, but some how I could not. Today I felt I have to draft the recipe for sure. So here is my recipe of Chana Batata.
- 1 cup brown chana ( brown chick pea-200 gms )
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 5-7 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 green chilies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 -3 tbsp gram flour (besan )
- 2 medium boiled potatoes , cut into cubes
- 1-2 tbsp thick tamarind pulp
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 sliced onion sliced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- lemon wedges
- Few fried onions ( birishta)
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE CHANA BATATA
- Soak brown chana over night in a vessel with few cups of water .
- Next day in cooker add drained chana with 3-4 cups cooking water with salt. Cook and make 3-4 whistles on high .
- Slow down the gas and let it make 3-4 more whistles. Off the gas and once cool , check if the chana is completely done.
- Side by side, crush garlic and chilies in a motar pestle.
- In a deep pan , drizzle some oil , add curry leaves and sliced onions .
- Fry until golden brown in colour , add chana , turmeric powder and red chilly powder and fry for a minute .
- Add crushed garlic and green chilies and mix well , fry for a minute or so.
- Now add 2 cups water ( you can add in which you boiled chana )
- Side by side dilute gram flour in 1/4 cup water , mix well .
- Bring to boil and add gram flour mixture in chana.
- Now add potatoes , mix well and cook until gravy thickens.
- Slow down the gas and add tamarind pulp. Adjust the salt, seasonings and add cumin powder too. (add tamarind pulp if required as per your taste)
- Transfer in a serving bowl, garnish with some coriander leaves and fried brown onions, serve hot.
- You can increase or decrease the no of garlic and green chillies as per your taste in chana batata.
- Adjust the tamarind pulp as per your taste .
- If you want to add more green chilies in chana batata and do not want to add red chilly powder then do not add it.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 2-3 Persons.
Click here to try my another hit recipe of Chicken Cheese Balls