Red Sauce Chicken
Red Sauce Chicken is a simple, easy and lip smacking Indian delicacy, which is cooked with few ingredients in minimum oil. Saucy Chicken is marinated and then cooked in tomatoes with spices for the perfect flavor and color, though the coal tempering gives the saucy chicken a smokey touch which makes its taste more heavenly…!
An apt dish for those who have very less oil, but loves delicious food, as just 1 -2 tbsp oil / ghee is used during the making of this red sauce chicken. Though you can prepare this recipe with just leg pieces or with all pieces, choice is yours , in both the case’s you gonna drool over it.
You may also like
Here is the Recipe of tempting, delicious, palatable, lip smacking Red Sauce Chicken
- 1 kg chicken medium pieces. ( with bones) or leg pieces
- 1/2 kg tomatoes
- 15-17 whole cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 – 2 tsp red chilly powder ( as per your preferences) + 1 tsp chilly powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste ( freshly home made preferably )
- a pinch of red color ( optional )
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbp oil
- A small piece of coal
- 2 tbsp ghee ( clarified butter )
- salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE RED SAUCE CHICKEN
- Wash , clean and slit the chicken by poking knife all over , marinate it with ginger garlic paste, salt ,turmeric powder , red chilly powder, curd, red food colur for 3- 4 hours.
- Blend cashew and tomatoes in a food processor into paste .
- Now in a kadhai or pan add 1 -2 tbsp oil, add tomatoes and cashew paste, saute for 5 -7 minutes .Now add salt, 1 tsp red chilly powder and sugar along with marinated chicken, cover and cook on low flame until the meat is tender, ( do not over cook the chicken) adjust the salt and spices, if required.
- At this stage if you feel that the gravy is too loose, then keep on high flame until the gravy thickens.
- Burn a coal, place it in between the chicken directly and immediately pour ghee , cover it with lid and place weight on the lid so that all fumes settle in the chicken and give the must needed smokey flavor to it.
- If you want to add tomato sauce you can add, but then do not add sugar. When the chicken is done, add 2 tbsp tomato sauce and then do the coal tempering.
- If you want more spicy then add 1 -2 green chilly at the time of blending tomatoes and cashew into paste for more extra flavor.
- I have used less spicy red chilly powder with good red color, but if your red chilly powder is too spicy then do not add red chilly powder at the time of adding tomatoes and cashew paste with marinated chicken.
- Do not over cook the chicken as it may leave the bones, which in turn shall not look good nor comfortable during serving time.
- You can make foil chicken too, place one piece of chicken along with little sauce, in the middle of foil ( take a square medium sized foil ) , cover the foil from all sides, your foil chicken is ready.
- If you want more vibrant red colour, add red food colour to the base sauce while adding rest of the ingredients with chicken , then cover and cook on low flame until it becomes tender.
- I always peel the tomatoes and then blend in a food processor , so if you also want can peel and then blend with cashews .
- If you want semi thick gravy , to have with chapati/ phulkas/ jeera rice, then keep the gravy accordingly, do not keep on high flame for too long, as mentioned in step 4, and if you want thick gravy ( for eg., foil chicken) then reduce it on high flame.So the thickness of gravy depends purely on your preferences.
If you like my recipe , please do share it with your family and friends.
Once the chicken is prepared and the coal tempering is done , add each chicken pieces with some gravy in 10 x 10 foil paper and wrap it . Repeat the process all the chicken pieces , serve hot .
PREPARATION TIME: 20- 25 Minutes . ( extra time for marination)