Bheja fry is goat/lamb’s brain saute in rich spices , this goat/lamb’s brain is basically, scrambling the brain and then frying it spices and saute onions and pulped tomatoes…usually served with rumali roti/ roti/ chapatti/naan or parathas.
- One Goat brain
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- garlic pod 6- minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 6 green chillies, slit
- 1 tsp red chili powder ( if too hot then 1/2 tsp )
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- salt as per taste
- ghee or oil.
- Wash the brain thoroughly, roughly remove nerves and then boil it in water with a pinch of salt for 2 – 5 minutes.
- Remove the brain from the water and carefully remove membrane or nerves.
- Chop the brain into pieces. ( be it small pieces or you can chop into thick pieces)
- Heat oil or ghee in a sauce pan or kadhai , add cumin seeds, let it splutter.
- Now add garlic and green chillies , saute for few seconds.
- Now add onions and fry.
- As soon as it changes its colour , add tomatoes , salt , coriander powder , chilli powder .
- Stir well and fry for about 7 – 8 minutes until oil/ ghee separates ( put little water if required during the time of roasting the masala)
- Add brain and shake the pan gently to mix the brain with the spice mixture, avoid stirring with a spoon.
- Add cumin powder and garam masala powder and fry for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with lemon juice and rumali roti or naan or paratha or roti or phulkas.
- Increase or decrease the amount of red chilly powder as per your preferences.
- You can adjust the green chilies too as per your preferences. You can add 2-3 instead of 4-5 depending on your preferences.
- You can either take 1 large or 2 small onions chopped, both are fine.
- Peel the tomato and then add to the pan.
- Make sure you remove roughly the nerve of lamb/ goat’s brain and then after you boil it, once its cool down then again try to remove the nerves as much as possible.
- You can either chop the brain ( bheja) into thick pieces or keep it whole and serve it.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes.
COOKING TIME : 20 minutes.