Red Chilli Chutney
Red chilli chutney is spicy , tangy and has balanced taste . It is made of whole red dry chilies grind and cooked with jaggery and tamarind to get that perfect balanced taste. I usually make this tongue tickling red chilli chutney when I prepare chicken shawarmas and during Ramadan too, I make in batches for the whole month of “Ramadan ” as a condiment to be served with fritters or any other fried or baked dishes as we do not like ketch up to serve with fritters or any fried starters.
Here is my easy Red chilli chutney recipe.
- 12 -15 whole dry red chilies
- 2 tbsp thick tamarind pulp
- 2 -3 tbsp jaggery
- 6-7 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp freshly grounded cumin powder
HOW TO MAKE RED CHILLI CHUTNEY
- Deseed and soak the dry red chilies in a large sauce pan for an hour .
- Take drained red chilies , garlic and grind in a small food processor with 1/4 cup water to a smooth paste.
- Now in a saucepan add these freshly grind red chilly paste , add salt to taste, tamarind pulp , jaggery and cumin powder, 1/4 cup water , mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes.( taste and adjust tamarind , salt and jaggery as per your taste )
- Once the chutney thickens ,turn off the flame and let it cool at room temperature.
- Transfer red chilli chutney into a serving bowl or preserve in a small jar and refrigerate for later use.
- Serve with any fritters , chicken shawarma’s , chaat or any other fried dishes.
- If the taste isn’t balanced then add more jaggery as per your taste , this adding of jaggery may vary as there are 2 varieties of jaggery so it depends on the sweetness of your jaggery.
- I would advice you to first add 1 tbsp then mix and taste the chutney and if you feel the taste isn’t balanced then add 1 more or 2 tbsp more jaggery.
- Make sure that taste is balanced and nothing is over powering the other , like chutney shouldn’t be too sweet nor too spicy ( it should be little spicy but not too much )nor too tangy .
- YOU CAN ADD THIS CHUTNEY IN ANY KIND OF CHAAT , SHAWARMA’S , FRITTERS OR WITH ANY OTHER DISH YOU LIKE.
- I serve this chutney with chicken shawarma, tandoori lollipop and during the month of RAMADAN .
You may also like
PREPARATION TIME : Approximately 20 Minutes ( excluding the soaking time )