Shrimp Fried Rice
Shrimp Fried Rice is a Gluten free recipe. Its an authentic recipe which is more flavorful and delectable too. The taste of Homemade shrimp fried rice is exact like the ones served in Fine dine Restaurants.
I usually use to think when every I had Fried rice at a fine Dinning Restaurants or at an authentic Chinese restaurants, the taste is something very different to what we prepare at home. I use to wonder that the sweet flavor in rice would be of what. Later I thought it might be because they add a pinch of sugar to it. But then I researched on it and came to a point that they add white wine and some add chicken/ vegetable broth with pinch of sugar while cooking. Probably In India I assume that they add stock with pinch of sugar. But authentic way is to add white wine to give a depth of flavor to the dish.
If you are bored of preparing Indo – Chinese shrimp fried rice and looking for an authentic Gluten Free recipe of Easy Shrimp Fried Rice, then you are on the right recipe blog.
Well lets discuss what makes this an authentic Restaurant style Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe?
The most important ingredient that is added to Homemade Shrimp Fried Rice is White wine. Yes! You heard it right. But then some of you who do not add alcohol to your food like me. There is always a substitute, that is Stock. Add Chicken or vegetable stock while preparing Shrimp Fried Rice or any other substitute of white wine. If you are preparing with stock and if you want to give more flavor to your fried rice then try mixing 1/4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar to the stock.
Well many of you must be surprised that why is WHITE WINE added to dish ?
White wine in a small quantity adds a flavor to the dish. Sometimes wine is incorporated to add acidity, sugar, depth of flavor and brightness to a particular dish to make it more flavorful. The alcohol in the wine evaporates while the food is cooking and only the flavor remains. Boiling down wine highlights the flavor including acidity and sweetness. But make sure if you add white wine, do not add too much or else the flavor could over power your dish.
I have added green chilies as they are not added in an authentic easy Shrimp fried Rice Recipe but I have mentioned it as optional so you can skip adding it.
Without much ado here is my recipe of homemade Shrimp Fried Rice Gluten free Recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Pan Fried Shrimps
- Butter Garlic Shrimp
- Prawns Biryani
- Lemon Garlic Shrimps / Green Shrimp
- Garlic Butter Shrimps Pasta
- 250 gms shrimps
- 1-2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper into cubes
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper into cubes
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 and half cup basmati rice
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 2-3 green chilies chopped ( optional )
- 2-3 tbsp butter ( optional )
- 2 stalks green onions chopped
- rice oil or vegetable oil
How to clean shrimps Click here
How to make Shrimp Fried Rice:
- Wash basmati rice in running water and soak for about 15 minutes in a large bowl or pot. Finely chop ginger, garlic, green chilies and onion. Chop all the bell peppers into small cube shaped.
2. Clean, wash shrimps and add salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, marinate it for half an hour.
3. Boil 3-4 cups of water with salt in a large sauce pan or pot.
4. Drain and add Basmati rice, mix well. Cook on high flame till the rice is cooked but the grains are separate not mushy. Drain and keep aside.
5. In a large wok or skillet( I have used non stick kadhai) heat oil, add beaten egg/ eggs, season it with salt, pepper. Cook and scramble it with the help of spatula. Once the eggs are completely cooked, transfer to a plate or bowl and keep aside.
6. In the same wok, heat butter and 1 tbsp olive oil, add 1 tbsp garlic and fry for a minute, make sure it does not burn. ( I have added butter and olive oil to give a better flavor to my shrimps but you can add vegetable oil )
7. Add the shrimps and cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook the other side too for about 2 minutes on high flame. Drain the shrimps and keep aside. ( you can add oil too but as I wanted to make my shrimps more flavorful so I have added butter )
8. In the same wok, heat the pan and once it is hot drizzle oil, add garlic and fry few seconds.
9. Add ginger and green chiilies ( optional ) too and fry for few seconds.
10. Add chopped onions and fry till translucent.
11. Now add chicken stock and sugar, stir and cook till the sugar has diluted, keep stirring.
12. Now add the sauces and bell peppers, mix well and add scrambled eggs, cooked rice, prawns , sprinkle pepper powder ( optional ) quickly mix everything well. ( make sure you do this step quickly all followed one by one )
13. Serve hot Gluten Free Shrimp Fried Rice.
- I prepared Shrimp fried rice in a non stick kadhai but best is if you prepare in a wok or skillet.
- You can even add cornflour say about 1-2 tbsp at the time when you marinate the shrimps and then fry in hot oil.
- You can even add cooked rice if you already have it or prepare as per the procedure mentioned above.
- You can add cooking wine if you are comfortable adding it, just that do not add sugar.
- In authentic shrimp fried rice, green chilies are not added, but I wanted to add some kind of spice to my rice as I did not want to serve my Shrimp Fried Rice with any kind of gravy. You can skip the adding of green chilies to your home made shrimp fried rice.
- Instead of oyster sauce you can add its substitute such as hoisin sauce, fish sauce, mushroom sauce or mushroom soy sauce too.
- I have substitute white wine with chicken stock but you can add vegetable stock too.
- If you want to give more flavor to your shrimp fried rice then try mixing 1/4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar to the 1/4 cup chicken / vegetable stock. ( I did not add lemon or vinegar)
- For Authentic Shrimp fried rice, do not add green chilies and do not fry shrimps in butter, fry the shrimps in oil and follow the rest procedure. Add cooking wine for more authentic flavor but if you are not comfortable then you can add a substitute of it that is chicken broth. Add oyster sauce for authentic flavor.
- Do not over cook Prawns/shrimps as they will turn rubbery and hard.
- Prawns / shrimps should be soft when you have it and should look pinkish when you prepare it.
- If you are adding frozen prawns then make sure you thaw it before preparing Home made Restaurant style Gluten Free Shrimp Fried Rice.
- For this recipe you can either take medium sized shrimps or big shrimps, both are fine for Gluten Free Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 10 Minutes.
TOTAL: 30 Minutes.
GLUTEN FREE SERVINGS : 3 Persons.