Chicken Jalfrezi is a dish originated in the Indian sub continent, mostly popular in Indian cuisine. This recipe is of marinated pieces that are fried in oil and spices to make up a thick sauce.
Well, but here in this recipe. I haven’t fried the chicken pieces separately in oil instead I have added them after the gravy is prepared. You can also prepare that way. For the other method you can check NOTES.
Such recipes prove time and again that the dish does not have to be always creamy or rich in texture. Just few regular Ingredients can also make a dish delicious and delectable.
Here is my version of Chicken Jalfrezi.
- 1 kg chicken with bones
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 small finely sliced onions
- 1 medium sized onion ( chopped into cubes)
- 2-3 green chilies chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 medium sized green bell pepper ( chopped into cubes)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder ( optional )
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red Kashmir chilly powder
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
HOW TO MAKE Chicken Jalfrezi:
- Clean, wash and slit chicken pieces and marinate with the ingredients mentioned under ” Marination Section” for about an hour.
2. In a deep non stick pan drizzle some oil add sliced onions and fry till golden in color.
3. Drain on an absorbent paper and pulse in food processor with tomatoes.
4. In the same oil or drizzle some more if needed add chopped garlic and green chilies.
5. Add the grounded onion and tomato paste, fry for a minute or two.
6. Now add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilly powder. Mix well.
7. Cover and cook on low flame till oil separates.
8. Now add the marinated chicken, mix well. Add 1/4 or 1/4 cup water to the bowl in which the chicken was marinated. Pour over the chicken, cover and cook till the chicken is almost done.
9. Add capsicums chopped in cubes, onions chopped in cubes and sprinkle garam masala ( all spice mix). Mix well and keep on slow flame till the chicken is completely done.
10. Serve Chicken Jalfrezi hot with phulka/tandoori naan/butter naan or paratha.
- Increase or decrease the amount of green chilllies chopped as per your preference.
- Increase or decrease the number of red chilly powder as per your taste.
- I usually add kashmiri red chilly powder, but if you are adding too spicy red chilly powder then add 1 tsp red chilly powder.
- You can directly grind the tomatoes with fried onions or you can blanch tomatoes first and then let it cool. Once the tomatoes are completely cooled then pulse them with fried onions. Both the ways are completely fine.
- You can even add half of cubed onions, cubed bell peppers during the time when you add the chicken and cook it. Add the remaining cubed onions and bell peppers when the chicken is almost done.
- You can even fry the marinated chicken pieces in oil separately and the masala separately and once the masala ( gravy/ sauce) is cooked properly and the oil separates. Then add to the chicken that is being cooked side by side and then continue the procedure.
You may also like my other Chicken recipes
PREPARATION TIME: 15-20 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 20-25 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME: 35 -45 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.
IF YOU LIKE CHICKEN JALFREZI RECIPE, SHARE IT WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.
IF YOU HAVE TRIED MY RECIPES, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT.