Homemade Paneer is a fresh cheese or curd cheese made by curdling heated milk with lemon juice , vinegar or curd / yogurt .Many vegetarian curries , appetizers and desserts are made by adding paneer as the main Ingredient.
I prefer home made paneer and love it, with paratha in my breakfasts or in my dinners too. Here is my Recipe of how to make Homemade Paneer.
1 and 1/4 full fat milk
2 tsp lemon or 2 tsp vinegar or 1/4 cup yoghurt/curd
salt ( optional )
HOW TO MAKE PANEER:
- Boil the milk in a large pot. ( I have used full fat buffalo’s milk , but can use full fat cow’s milk as well )
- Add the lemon juice or curd or vinegar and stir the milk.
- Once you add the lemon juice or vinegar or curd , immediately the milk will curdle up , switch off the gas.
- Add some ice water or ice cubes to prevent indian cheese to cook more further and become hard. Let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
- On a large strainer , keep a muslin cloth and pour this cuddled paneer.
- Collect together the muslin cloth and make a knot of it, squeezing excess water .Hang it for about 30 -45 minutes , to remove excess whey.
- Remove the paneer block out of the muslin cloth , chop into desired pieces and use further to add in curries or as vegetable or serve with parantha .
- I add salt , preferably rock salt after adding lemon juice as I like my paneer to be a little salty , if you want you can add too only if the paneer has to be used for savoury dishes and not in any desserts.
- Make sure you do not add too much of vinegar or lemon juice as this will make your indian cheese too hard , so add as much as needed.
- If your milk doesn’t curdle up , then immediately add 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar to milk to curdle up .
- Do not over cook the paneer , it may become hard so as soon as the milk curdles up , off the gas.
- When you remove the paneer from muslin cloth , it forms the shape of drop , so once when you keep the paneer hanged in muslin cloth for 30 -40 minutes , after that keep the paneer with muslin cloth on a flat surface on a steel plate and place a heavy thing on it . Press it , so that paneer becomes flat and square in shape , chop into small pieces.
- Homemade paneer can be used in Homemade Ras Malai which would be healthier option if you are making it at home
PREPARATION TIME : 40 -50 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 20 -25 Minutes.
TOTAL TIME : 1 hour 15 minutes.
TYPE : Easy.
COURSE : Indian
Paneer Recipes you may like
Ras Malai with Homemade Paneer