Phirni is an Indian pudding where milk is cooked with ground rice and sugar on low flame giving a thick consistency, where as saffron adds to the aroma. Phirni is traditionally served in earthen bowls, and is famous during on special occasions or celebrations like diwali and many other festivals.
Mango Phirni is a delectable and lip smacking variation of Phirni. Its one of the best one after Chocolate phirni ( click here for chocolate phirni recipe ). In this the procedure is same as normal phirni. Just after the phirni has cooled down mango pulp is added to give the flavor and topped with some finely chopped mangoes to give mango flavor to the phirni. Here is my Mango Phirni recipe.
- 1/2 Liter whole milk
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp rice
- 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Few almonds, pistachios blanched , peeled and sliced
- a pinch saffron ( kesar)
- 1 cup mango puree
- 1 chopped mangoes
HOW TO MAKE MANGO PHIRNI
7. Now add 1 cup mango puree in the mixture and mix well , If the Mango phirni is too thick then add 2 -3 tbsp warm milk. Empty the mixture in earthen bowls and garnish with pistachios, saffron strands , almonds and chopped mangoes.
8. Now refrigerate Mango Phirni for an hour and serve chill.
- If the rice is still wet and you run out of time then refrigerate the rice for sometime so that it dries up early.
- If you do not want to add saffron then skip that step.
- If you don’t want to add almonds , skip it and rather add finely chopped mangoes .
SERVES: 2- 3 Persons.