karela alu ( bitter gourd and potatoes ) is the most simplest recipe of mine, and the best one where as bitter gourd is concerned. Though I know many of us do not have it as the taste is too bitter for our taste buds, but then here is the recipe of karela aloo where you will keep on munching and munching …… Karela aloo with just 2 -3 ingredients makes the dish heavenly and superb in taste. In fact you can serve your kids too, as its very tasty and I am sure your kids will like them too, not only kids but all the family members will love it….its out and out very different recipe which is scrumptious , palatable and delicious too.
Here is my recipe of karela aloo which i make as a side dish to munch in, or as a condiments , though at times , I serve it with phulas/ roti, this recipe goes well as a side dish, with dal rice too.
Without much ado , here is a must try recipe of karela aloo….if you like it , please do share it with your family and friends, and give in your valuable feed backs here in comments section.
250 gms karela ( bitter gourd)
1- 2 potatoes
1 -2 red chilly powder
2 tsp sugar
salt to taste.
1. Peel the bitter gourd , add 2 tbsp salt , all over it , mix and keep aside for 30 minutes.
2. Now wash karela”s in running water, drain and squeeze as much as possible , scrape off all the seeds and keep aside.
3. Again wash the karela’s in running water, drain and squeeze as much as you can, by doing you will not experience too much of bitterness.
4.Peel potatoes and chop them into small cube shaped, add adequate water and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in kadhai / wok, once the oil is hot add karela’s and fry them until turn crisp, drain on an absorbent paper and keep side.Drain the water from potatoes, add little salt, mix well and fry in the same hot oil until they also turn crisp and completely done. ( make sure you keep on medium flame so that the potatoes are cooked , and then on high flame so that they turn crisp and change colour) , drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
7. Now in a large bowl, add fried karela’s , fried potatoes, 1/2 or 3/4 lemon’s juice with sugar and red chilly powder, mix everything well.
8. Remove the oil in which both were fried from the kadhai, now in the same wok/kadhai add 1- 2 tbsp oil, add this karela and potatoes, fry for 2 minutes so that sugar gets dissolved and all the flavors get infuse that is added to it. ( stir at regular intervals to prevent them from getting burnt )
9. Serve as a side dish with phullkas / roti or you can munch it as a snack or can serve it with dal rice.
- You can add red chilly powder, sugar and lemon as per your preferences.
- You can even ,Squeeze half lemon in a bowl, add sugar and keep aside so that it gets dissolves until both karela and potatoes are fried, then add to the karela aloo with red chilly powder, both the ways are perfectly fine, as long as you are comfortable with either of them.
- Make sure that you remove all the seeds from karela before frying.
- If your lemon is too small, then add more lemon juice ( depending upon the size and your preferences ) , to get the taste .
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 3 Persons.