Turai chana daal sabzi is very easy and delicious too, with just few ingredients makes this a mouth watering daal Recipe. Turai known Ridge gourd is cooked with chana daal that is Split Bengal Gram with few spices which gives a whole new tatse to daal.
In fact I usually make this Recipe with two Variants one is Ridged gourd ( turai) and the other one is with bottle gourd ( lauki ) , exactly in the same way…and I must admit that both tastes delicious and has its own flavor.I am sharing my Recipe Turai chana daal ..hope you all like it…!
1 Cup split Bengal Gram ( Chana daal )
250 gms Ridge Gourd ( turai)
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
5 – 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
salt as per taste
1. Wash and Soak chana daal for about 2 hrs, Peel and rinse turai under tap water and slit it into 4 pieces , now chop those slitted turai again into half inch pieces and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, add cumin seeds , let it splutter.
3. Now add finely chopped garlic and fry for few seconds, once they start changing the color add onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
4. Now add salt , turmeric powder and chilli powder, saute for a minute and add chana daal with 1 cup of water.
5. Cover and cook on low flame until daal is 3/4 done.
6.Now add chopped Turai along with 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, cover and cook on low flame until both daal and Turai completely done, Serve hot with phulkas or rice.
- You can add 1 cup water again if chaana daal is not cooked but have dried up.
- When you add turai do not add water as turai excretes its own water while cooking.
- Turai chana becomes dry once they kept for long time, so for that matter you can add water and bring to a boil just before serving.
- You can make the same Recipe with bottle gourd ( Dudhi / lauki ) as well both have a scrumptious taste. Just peel lauki, chop into four, remove thick seeds with the help of knife by chopping a small layer of the seeds, (do not chop of the seeds till deep down ), now make long thin pieces of each, chop those long pieces into small tiny ones, rest the recipe is same.
- If you running out of time and forgot to soak chanadal in water prehand , then don’t worry just warm 5 -6 cups of water and add chana dal ,cover with a lid and soak for 30 minutes.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.